Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that everyone is worried about using the lighter wheels and tires for better gas mileage, why am i not seeing anything about people switching to lighter and thinner disc brake rotors? seems like you could lose a few pounds of rotating weight.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
^ The rotors aren't aluminum, though I think the rear drums are...

....why am i not seeing anything about people switching to lighter and thinner disc brake rotors? seems like you could lose a few pounds of rotating weight.
I needed some new rotors and thought about lighter ones. I ended up buying some drilled and slotted ones, thinking they might be a bit lighter. But they were exactly the same as stock. They were a set, rotors and cermaic pads for about $100 from R1 Concepts, fyi. They work great compared to my previous setup (aging Duralast Gold pads, stock rotors), but no lighter than stock... It'd be interesting to hear if anyone has ideas about lighter rotor options, though...

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
brehm:
Please include your Location in your profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You
Willie

·
Registered
827 Posts
I took my front rotors off . Cannot tell any difference in mileage. But the car is astoundingly easy to roll without the front wheels dragging. use gravity assist to slow my vehicle and a few unaware dogs. Steep hills are very effective at slowing the car too. I miss the sound of brake rotors in the morning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanna try these out:

I have 15" wheels but they are 4" wide off I-Miev so I'm not sure on clearance

There's also this single piston option designed to fit in 13" wheels but it's more money for less brakes so I wanted to try wilwood 1st

If anyone else wants to be the guinea pig for this $700+ experiment :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Better link:

I've found sale prices as low as $660-670

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think the rotors on one of my Insights were turned a few times. They're pretty thin. Having them cut to the minimum thickness should reduce their weight. Brand probably matters too. Who volunteers to order one of each available brand to weigh them? :D

Old (OEM?) rotor - 6.27 lb
New Brembo - 7.43 lb

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm using 4 Space savers deleted front 2 brake rotors . Can't tell any difference on mileage . You have to heat the gasoline and then restrict it to get a gain in mileage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after looking at the KS tuned kits it looks like you could make small adapter bracket for Motorcycle calipers and just turn down a stock pair of rotors. I'll let ya know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank you.
Williie

·
Administrator
10,719 Posts
I'm using 4 Space savers deleted front 2 brake rotors . Can't tell any difference on mileage . You have to heat the gasoline and then restrict it to get a gain in mileage.
Can you post pictures of this setup and your deleted front brakes?

·
Registered
278 Posts
can someone confirm the disc dimensions:

Disc Specifications

A - Diameter: 231mm
B - Hub Hole Diam: 61.0mm
C - Overall Height: 44.0mm
D - Thickness: 17.0mm
E - Wheel Bolt Stud Qty: 4
Disc Type: Vented

Just looking at AP Racing their smallest vented disc is:
254mm dia 21mm thick 3.2kg 7.1lb
if you wanted to keep your stock calipers:
263mm dia 17mm thick, 2.44kg 5.4lb

both these would require an aluminium bell and fixings which is not too terrible to manufacture. you may struggle with the latter under a 14" wheel.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is basically what you need, but shrunk down a bit:

discs

Bell manufactured from 2014T6 aluminium to give the correct offset for the caliper:

The complete unit on the car:

Now unless you want to move to 19" wheels you will need a smaller disc but the principle is the same :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
although that looks really cool (and very expensive), you guys are over thinking this. I was thinking more of just taking a stock rotor and turning it down to about 4-5mm(turning one side or other down past the vented middle area) and adding a spacer to a stock caliper or make a bracket to use a small aluminum caliper. This may not help a bunch with overall MPG, but i would think it would help on acceleration. and as long as you weren't trying to autocross with it i think it would work fine.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
....This may not help a bunch with overall MPG, but i would think it would help on acceleration.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking, not an MPG mod but a handling mod, possibly acceleration, too. I installed stronger - but a lot heavier - springs on the front, and though the ride/handling was better with stiffer springs, the extra weight was obvious, not in a good way. It's like wearing heavy shoes and trying to run. Little amounts of unsprung weight can make a big difference in the handling feel, possibly more so than typical cuz the car is also so light...

·
Registered
278 Posts
although that looks really cool (and very expensive), you guys are over thinking this. I was thinking more of just taking a stock rotor and turning it down to about 4-5mm(turning one side or other down past the vented middle area) and adding a spacer to a stock caliper or make a bracket to use a small aluminum caliper. This may not help a bunch with overall MPG, but i would think it would help on acceleration. and as long as you weren't trying to autocross with it i think it would work fine.
4-5mm is going to warp/crack in no time with heat. we use 6mm solid drilled discs on a couple of our single seater cars here and they have a very short life span, the insight is 3x the weight of those. Looking at the solid discs in the AP catalogue 7mm is the thinnest available, most are more like 9.5mm and around 2kg (4.5lb). their solid discs with bell CP2222-9 is the closest, 248m dia, 7.1mm thick and a 32.5mm offset, they weigh 2.4kg each.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4-5mm is going to warp/crack in no time with heat. we use 6mm solid drilled discs on a couple of our single seater cars here and they have a very short life span, the insight is 3x the weight of those. Looking at the solid discs in the AP catalogue 7mm is the thinnest available, most are more like 9.5mm and around 2kg (4.5lb). their solid discs with bell CP2222-9 is the closest, 248m dia, 7.1mm thick and a 32.5mm offset, they weigh 2.4kg each.
what kind of single seat cars are you talking about, so i check them out?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Its a little formula student car, steel frame single seater with 80kW motor. ours is a fatty at over 250kg, I'll try and dig some piccies out.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts