Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Warning: this thread was intended to keep track of my own progress with the build. things will be left out of the post, and posts may seem a bit strange at times.)

Post #1 designing the trailer

I have plans to build an aluminum aerodynamic tent trailer for my 2000 citrus.
This is going to be a small air suspended trailer, capable of hauling everything needed for a 3 week vacation I have coming up in just under 1 month.
The top of the trailer will fold open for a larger surface area, and a tent will sit on the top. under the tent will be access to the inside of the trailer. first things first, every ones ideas are welcome/appreciated.

THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONE:
MIMA needs to be ordered
MIMA needs to be installed
design/fabricate/install tow hitch
build trailer frame
build trailer suspension
find and buy the correct sized tent

Features:
TIG welded aluminum
marine grade quality parts for long life
bike rack
tent
12v cooler
lightweight air suspension
aerodynamic exterior, with flat underbelly
jump box power station with solar/12v charger
small kitchen set
2.5 gal toilet
2.5 gallon water storage
gravity shower

this list will expand soon. once again, ideas welcome.

·
Registered
939 Posts
i know you said trailer-but depending on what you intend to do after the trip maybe consider this? (see link).
Packed carefully, everything you mentioned would fit fine, and would save some weight and drag as no extra wheels are added.
Reese - Adventure System

·
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has to be a trailer. a three week vacation would be rather expensive and not much fun if i didn't have my bike, or personal lodging with a shower/kitchen/toilet.

that setup looks nice, but 800 plus lbs is a no go. i'm aiming for under 400 lbs loaded, and trying to keep the aero in check as well.

progress has been made with the hitch, as it is completed, minus powder coat.
starting the frame now.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
MIMA needs to be ordered
MIMA needs to be installed
You're going to have problems with these action items...

I'll be interested in your project. Not the design I would have used, but I'm pretty "outside the box" most of the time. I'm jealous of your ability to weld aluminum -- a big plus for this project!

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

I'll be interested in your project. Not the design I would have used, but I'm pretty "outside the box" most of the time. I'm jealous of your ability to weld aluminum -- a big plus for this project!
Indeed he will! But the good news is he can get imac&c from Peter still.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Why is this a problem? I mean besides the fact that I haven't ordered it yet. *facepalm

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the sketches of how I plan on the end result being. Of course things change, so I'm exited to see what else changes as I go along.

Attachments

·
3,641 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Why is this a problem? I mean besides the fact that I haven't ordered it yet. *facepalm
MIMA is no longer available and is highly unlikely to be produced again. Convincing the owner of a plug and play MIMA to part with it is just about as unlikely. Pulling a used one out of an existing non-PnP install would be messy.

IMAC&C is as close as you'll get.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm wondering if there would be any chance of running into a few of you guys while I'm in the Cali area. my plan is to run down the west coast, with any luck stopping by apple headquarters in Cupertino, at the same time the iPhone 6 (if its named that) comes out.

Who wants to set up a meet mid September?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts