Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plates should be arriving shortly. Just wondered if anyone had a favorite type of license plate holder for the Insight. I'd rather not just screw the plate onto the plastic. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Hi,

The original front plate holder was given with the car. Wasn't yours given with the car.

I still have mine. It is still in the bag with the bolts, since 2000. I never needed it since in Quebec, the requirements are for back plate only.

It has some tichness and a semi triangular extrusion that bolts into the bumper.

If you where not that far, I would gladly give it to you for free. Maybe the dealer can sell it for less than the price of mailling it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Yves,

I have that front thing. I was actually interested in covers or frames that owners liked. Saw some at the local Target that'll do.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was actually interested in covers or frames that owners liked.
I used to have a metal frame on the back of my Insight. One of those "My other car is a..." ones. Trouble is the frame is taller than the area for the rear plate so it ends up scratching the paint off of the rear bumper and the plate didn't fit into the tabs on the bumper. If I were you i'd go with a black plastic frame type to be easier on the paint.

I don't have any frames on my Insight now. Personaly I think the rear looks cleaner without a plate frame. For the front plate holder I modified it so it's under the front lip of the bumper in front of the lower air intake.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought these cool light blue plastic ones but they didn't fit right. Ended up just screwing my plates to the plastic bumper :(
But it looks ok.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you are talking about frames with sayings on them, I think they are tacky. My car can speak for itself without any words. Personally, I'm thinking about removing the IMA and Hybrid stickers.

Here's a tip. Only use Stainless or Nylon hardware when mounting plates. Anything less will rust, stain your paint and be a pain to remove.

For my front plate, I got a clear bubble shaped cover like this one to hopefully improve aero. I tapped the plastic plate holder and secured plate and cover with stainless button headed metric screws. (It's all in the details you know.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
For my front plate, I got a clear bubble shaped cover like this one to hopefully improve aero. I tapped the plastic plate holder and secured plate and cover with stainless button headed metric screws. (It's all in the details you know.)
Can you come over and put mine on because those are the same kind I got. But I can't make em fit right. It's like the license plate is too big.
Maybe just the front one fits?

I really love the look of them - because that cool, translucent, blue plastic is gorgeous IMO! And they keep the plate from getting nasty dirty or rusted.

Guess I'll try again. Maybe I need more tools or something - something to trim the plates a tiny bit...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flunkysama,

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Any trouble mounting the front one? We have to do that in California.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts