Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I always enjoy seeing your posts atikovi, you always have such pretty cars. Hope you get what you are looking for.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Great auction writeup and as always, lots of great pics!

... which reminds me, I need to add a valve adjustment to my to do list :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
-- Rebuilt title, salvaged, ...
The car was smashed up so badly that the insurance company preferred to cash out on the damage rather then pay the repairs. That's some major damage.

What is so puzzling to me is why there are so many of them?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess you don’t understand how insurance companies work and how little damage it takes to total an older car, especially with an aluminum body. I suppose you rather it have gone to a junk yard and get cut up for parts instead of being saved?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi atikovi,
I see your point and I think you're right. The ones I was thinking about are the cars that were salvaged like 2 or 3 years after they rolled out of the dealership. That's going to be 60% or 70% of the original purchase price of the car. That's some damage.

On older cars, they get a scratch and the insurance company pays out $500 to salvage the whole car. Something does seem to be out of balance here.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Wow, that red is either nice or you got a great camera. Look at how clean it is around the gas cap.

Is this the treatment all your cars get or only insights?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Man, seeing these Insights like this one here for sale makes me want to start fresh and buy a clean one from the get go. I came across a sharp 2006 blue CVT a few weeks back, and if I hadn't gadgetized my car already and made it uniquely mine, I would've totally considered buying it and selling my silver one. The seller, like atikovi, appeared to be very knowledgeable about the car based on his ad and photos. I think with these cars it's important to buy from someone who's passionate and well-versed in the mechanics and care of the Insight.

I think I would pay asking price for atikovi's red one if he were local. Everything on that car looks clean and major work done. EGR plate even done! What a steal!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Wow, yeah thats nice to buy a used car thats been detailed and serviced. Nothing like buying a used car just to find out its due for service that exceeds its blue book value.

When I got my odyssey I found its service history online in auto check/car fax and took it to a honda dealer during the test drive. :D They gave me an estimate of what its due for in service that had not been done. Came to almost 3 grand. I went back to the seller about this and they took care of it as part of the deal. :cool:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
-- Rebuilt title, salvaged, ...
The car was smashed up so badly that the insurance company preferred to cash out on the damage rather then pay the repairs. That's some major damage.

What is so puzzling to me is why there are so many of them?
I had an old Datsun station wagon that was "totaled" after a woman hit the front of the car with a huge Ford sedan. All that was really wrong was the grill got smashed and the radiator got pushed back into the fan.

The insurance company offered me $750 for the car to total it. A bank said they would loan me $2300 to buy another car like it. I called the insurance company and offered to put the banker on the line if they didn't believe me.

The insurance company ended up giving me $2200 - $220 for me to keep the car. It cost me $35 for a radiator AND a grill to put it back on the road.

That's how insurance companies work. Hope they find a gullible client to take any offer. Then they sell the car for more than the claim.
------------

atikovi: Great write up! That red car is beautiful. Just what a fire chief needs. :)

·
3,641 Posts
Bump for a nice car. Looks just as great in person.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts