Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When will Bumblebee batteries start selling a Lithium battery pack for gen1 insights? I have my money ready. John from Lexington, Kentucky.

·
Super Moderator
7,311 Posts
It is an interesting question. You should send an e-mail to them and ask ;)

Seriously though, it isn't as easy for them as it looks. Afaik, all the current conversions are using used salvage cells or "seconds." A business like Bumblebee must offer reliability so they are almost certain to require new cells. The sources of new cells which have adequate performance are quite limited. The suppliers of the cells to the current crop of lithium hybrids and EVs probably have little interest in small production operations.

There is also the question of what sort of pack to build. It would have to match the original footprint, mounting points, and cooling of the original pack. That would likely limit the capacity to stock or maybe a little more. Would this satisfy the market and create demand? The design of a "safe" commercial product is also a lot more complex than just dropping in cells, like all the current conversions. At a minimum, the pack would require a Battery Management System(BMS) to insure that the cells stay balanced. A reliable BMS is a rather complex undertaking.

Is the market even large enough to sustain these sorts or efforts and costs? I see no sign that it is, but would love to be wrong.

There are also business liability risks in such an effort. Certainly the effort would require creation of an LLC so liability could be limited to business assets and not reach personal liability.

The current best approach for most moderate skill owners is to make the Atheos conversion using the recycled Fit EV LTO pack. It is so simple that virtually any moderately skilled hobbyist can pull it off, and you assume all the risk and liability.

Sorry to ramble. I'm thinking out loud a bit.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
When will Bumblebee batteries start selling a Lithium battery pack for gen1 insights? I have my money ready. John from Lexington, Kentucky.
John are you willing to spend $3500-$4500 for a lithium pack?

If not, how much do you think is a reasonable cost?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, one of the guys at Insight Fest put together a 60V Lithium set up for about $1200 in parts, I think. I'm very new with the batteries. I just want a Lithium battery for a fair price. I would expect it to, at least, be more than a new original type battery pack.

·
Super Moderator
7,311 Posts
Well, one of the guys at Insight Fest put together a 60V Lithium set up for about $1200 in parts, I think. I'm very new with the batteries. I just want a Lithium battery for a fair price. I would expect it to, at least, be more than a new original type battery pack.
I think you are thinking of the Aethos conversion configuration. It is apparently the simpler of the conversions, but it does have some question marks overhanging. At constrained cell voltages of 2.5V>2.0V, it has an operating range of 150V>120V, a bit on the low side and probably constraining capacity somewhat. We don't really know, but is suspect.

If one allows the top voltage to reach 2.7V/cell, then the pack has a top "spec" voltage of 162V, but the pack can't rise much higher on regen because of the very low internal resistance of the cells. The LTO cells are apparently pretty rugged and abuse immune, so the pack seems to work adequately in actual use, though the pick life in this arrangement isn't actually known or predictable. It seems to me that one would want to monitor the pack carefully in operation with an OBDII C&C or a simple voltmeter.

Right now the packs are selling on eBay for $300. So the actual packs are about $1000 with shipping. The cost of 4AWG wires, terminals and a crimper would be the other major cost, but most of the stuff is available on eBay or Amazon.

Like all projects, it isn't production so it isn't guaranteed. I think Eric is thinking of a commercial product, with a BMS, that a vendor could stand behind (see my earlier post).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts