Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
There was an article on one of the news site how they can use nano tubes or something to extract power from the air.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When we can actually build a battery (in a reasonably economic way) with this kind of energy density, it's going to change a lot. Electric cars become really viable alternatives to fossil fuel platforms. For that matter, so does pretty much every other form of transportation. It costs a fraction of the amount per unit of energy for electricity as it does fossil fuel. Regional air transport, at the very least, will be dominated by electric planes with a fraction of the cost of gas. International could also move that direction with an efficient enough design.

As far as how it pertains to hybrids, the big issue is safe charge/discharge rate. If that rate is too low, you can't use it with current hybrid designs. I do love the idea of a 5lb battery that covers the Insight's hybrid needs, though.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
They are orders of magnitude off of charge/discharge load and cycles. They are "rechargeable" in that they can be recharged, but the capacity of each cycle is diminished significantly. The stated 10 years is optimistic if this technology can even be evolved that far.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They are orders of magnitude off of charge/discharge load and cycles. They are "rechargeable" in that they can be recharged, but the capacity of each cycle is diminished significantly. The stated 10 years is optimistic if this technology can even be evolved that far.
Huh, I didn't know that capacity rapidly diminished with charge/discharge. I would have assumed it was the same as most other lithium batteries, that maintain most of their capacity for a large number of cycles. Hopefully they're able to figure it out, and hopefully they do so "fast", because the way things are now fossil fuels aren't going away anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Huh, I didn't know that capacity rapidly diminished with charge/discharge. I would have assumed it was the same as most other lithium batteries, that maintain most of their capacity for a large number of cycles. Hopefully they're able to figure it out, and hopefully they do so "fast", because the way things are now fossil fuels aren't going away anytime soon.
Yep. Don't remember which one, but they interviewed one of the developers on a podcast. Based on my recollection, this chemistry is not effectively recharged due to a variety of "secondary-reactions" that occur during discharge that are non-reversible. They've overcome some of this, and they will be focusing on limiting/using the "secondary-reactions" to reduce cycle deterioration and increase the discharge/charging currents.

Lithium-air:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium–air_battery

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
No.

Harvesting hydrogen

The most surprising aspect of the research, however, found the membranes could be used to extract hydrogen from the atmosphere. The scientists said such harvesting could be combined with fuel cells to create a mobile electric generator fueled simply by hydrogen present in air.

"When you know how it should work, it is a very simple setup. You put a hydrogen-containing gas on one side, apply small electric current and collect pure hydrogen on the other side. This hydrogen can then be burned in a fuel cell.

"We worked with small membranes, and the achieved flow of hydrogen is of course tiny so far. But this is the initial stage of discovery, and the paper is to make experts aware of the existing prospects. To build up and test hydrogen harvesters will require much further effort."

Currently, hydrogen is obtained nearly entirely from fossil fuels.

It requires "a small electric current" and collect pure hydrogen on the other side. That electricity comes from somewhere.

Not a lot makes sense about these claims. There is no such thing as free energy.

Multiple claims are made. Many may be viable on an individual basis, but none can be combined to create a net positive energy source without additional input.

Perpetual motion machines do not exist.

"Free" energy will come when Fusion is developed.

"Magic" isn't a reliable source of energy.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Dry cell batteries are a no go, who would want to recycle their battery after every use?

The only way this type of thing would work would be if we assume they found a way to recharge and that the density of the battery is so high that you could go a long time before recharging, in that way if you only got say 100 charge cycles, you still might get 50,000 miles out of the thing, but still not very usefull in my mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts