Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tossed my key on the seat, then my cell phone, closed the passenger door, and walked around to the driver's door. I was locked out...whaaaa???? How did that happen? Don't know yet but, I've looked in the "search" topics to find how I can get another key made...just a valet key that I can put in one of those magnetic boxes under the car.....if I can find a spot where it will hold. The honda dealer here wants $139. just for programming a new key, then the cost of the key on top. Is this the only option?

·
Registered
783 Posts
For the future, I found that I had to open the doors far enough for the interior light to come on to keep the car from re-locking itself. If you just pull the door open a bit and toss stuff in, it autolocks.

I got a car locksmith to "slim-jim" the door open. Don't recall what it cost, but it was less than $139. But I've read on this site that a ham-handed attempt to unlock that way can damage the doors locking guts. Not a good thing. And I ended up getting a second key anyway. Combined, they cost more that $139.

Reactions: Phantom Z3

·
Registered
108 Posts
This happened to me outside a Menards during the middle of winter. I was able to buy the tools to get in for about $15.

I used a few plastic pry bars to move the door wide enough to get a large piece of wire in there. Then I was able to hook the manual door release with the wire. I took about 20 minutes but it was very rewarding when I got in.

This is exactly how the professionals do it except they have a a special air pumped pillow that they put in there to keep the door open after prying it open a little bit.

Be careful with the rain guard.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh but if you have proof of ownership and you grab the VIN number from the window and then you can just go to a Honda dealer and they will make you keys. The key without the chip is even cheaper and it will open the door but not start the car.

Reactions: mudder

·
Registered
108 Posts
A new non-chipped key should be $10-20 from and Honda dealerships service center. The trick is to ask to speak to parts as the service people wanted to charge me extra.

The first I got locked out I just took an Uber to the dealership and I got one with just a photo of the Vin and the confirmation e-mail from the DMV. They said I would have needed the title for the chipped key.

·
Linsight Designer
3,606 Posts
FYI: I stash my spare key behind the front license plate. That way if I ever need it, I can just unscrew the plate and there it is.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had a key made by Honda parts that will only unlock the door, it was $15.

I forgot what combination of events will lead the car to lock itself, but it did indeed lock itself.

Now when I exit the car I make sure the key is in my hand (or teeth) before I get out!

Lots of locksmiths/repair shops can program a key now, better aftermarket scan tools allow this.

Reactions: minor4326

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I tossed my key on the seat, then my cell phone, closed the passenger door, and walked around to the driver's door. I was locked out...whaaaa???? How did that happen? Don't know yet but, I've looked in the "search" topics to find how I can get another key made...just a valet key that I can put in one of those magnetic boxes under the car.....if I can find a spot where it will hold. The honda dealer here wants $139. just for programming a new key, then the cost of the key on top. Is this the only option?
Follow up:
The Menard's manager gave me a ride the 2 miles to my house for my spare key and back. I left my key in the car drink holder in my garage last night and this morning.......yep, locked out again. Wha......? I've had the car since 2012 and I'm wondering if the batter in the fob may be weak and could cause this. I'll change it and I got a door key ($4.) and magnetic box this morning to attach to the back of the rear license plate....or wherever I can find a spot.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Follow up:
The Menard's manager gave me a ride the 2 miles to my house for my spare key and back. I left my key in the car drink holder in my garage last night and this morning.......yep, locked out again. Wha......? I've had the car since 2012 and I'm wondering if the batter in the fob may be weak and could cause this. I'll change it and I'm going to get a valet key and magnetic box to attach to the back of the rear license plate. I did call the Honda dealer and they charge $139 just for the programming...cost of the key (whichever type you get) is additional.
You just need a key to unlock the door, any locksmith can cut a NON chip key to do that if you have one to copy. A NON chip key should not be more than $10. from a locksmith, you don't need a "valet" key to just open the door.

Reactions: amalia

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Follow up:
The Menard's manager gave me a ride the 2 miles to my house for my spare key and back. I left my key in the car drink holder in my garage last night and this morning.......yep, locked out again. Wha......? I've had the car since 2012 and I'm wondering if the batter in the fob may be weak and could cause this. I'll change it and I'm going to get a valet key and magnetic box to attach to the back of the rear license plate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You just need a key to unlock the door, any locksmith can cut a NON chip key to do that if you have one to copy. A NON chip key should not be more than $10. from a locksmith, you don't need a "valet" key to just open the door.
Oh cool. I was misusing the term "valet" key. I meant a key to just unlock the door. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
239 Posts
No need for a valet key if you just want something to open doors. Have a hardware store copy your key for about $10 from an old fashioned blank and it'll work for everything but won't start the car. In fact, the valet key (grey in picture) won't open the glovebox or rear hatch because it's too thick. That's what makes it a valet key. The previous owner of my car just made a copy to open the hatch (that had the usual bad connection).

Tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle part

As for where to stick a box, maybe it would be easier to epoxy it with something like JB weld and held with tape until it dries. This would be easier than finding the little amount steel in the car to stick a box to.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Follow up:
The Menard's manager gave me a ride the 2 miles to my house for my spare key and back. I left my key in the car drink holder in my garage last night and this morning.......yep, locked out again. Wha......? I've had the car since 2012 and I'm wondering if the batter in the fob may be weak and could cause this. I'll change it and I got a door key ($4.) and magnetic box this morning to attach to the back of the rear license plate....or wherever I can find a spot.
Follow up follow up: My son only has one key (a master) for his '02. Honda dealership said they can make another master from it for $30. That seems reasonable. He got no transponders with his car but those seem to be very expensive...$289.00 I guess he'll do without that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have laid my keys in the back while loading my groceries in the car and then closed the hatch and been very fearful that I’ve locked myself out but it has never happened to me. I only got one key when I bought the car and after reading this I think I’ll have a key made just in case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts