Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: is there anyway to store my 2010 insight for six months so that battery will not go dead? and no i will not be able to have someone go and start it and drive for 30 mins once a week. i know i can put a trickle charge on the regular battery but that is not my concern. does anyone have any knowledge on storing a insight for 6 months. this will be the only time i will have to store it for that length of time or for any length of time for that matter.
i see that the gentleman who is hosting the 2016 insight gathering has a lot of insights and was wondering how he stores all his?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Quite late with the reply but here it goes: same here, 6 months storage. I've modified my handbuilt gridcharger for the ZE2 so I can gridcharge the IMA battery before the engine gets started the first time after the long storage.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I think TRI has the right answer. Apparently, long storage, with the resulting self discharge, does not damage the cells. It is most likely the sudden jolt of the first start which damages some of the cells which have discharged the most. A good grid charge and top level soak for several hours should put you back into good shape. This is also the answer Mike D. gave me once when I asked him.

If you had the HybridRevolt charger, you could schedule periodic charges, say once/week, but I have that charger and I use the other approach;)

BTW, go to the "User CP" button above and update your profile to include a location, either city or general. You never know when someone who can help is right around the corner.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
If you had the HybridRevolt charger, you could schedule periodic charges, say once/week, but I have that charger and I use the other approach;)
I also intended to charge it periodically (every month) but most users here voted against it as it would induce memory effects. There is said to be nothing wrong with letting the pack sit self-discharged for a long time. Just wake it up with a thorough gridcharge and you car is ready.

This is said to be the best way and it might be an answer to why car with low miles and/or infrequent driving it noticed much earlier bad battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts