Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For quite some time, I've always been intrigued by the first-generation Insights. After casually going through the forums, I have found the perfect one for me.

Long story short, I flew from Delaware to Seattle, picked this one up, and drove it back. It even made it up Pikes Peak.

I can post a whole story about my trip if anyone here is interested. Plenty of photos were taken.

Can't wait to get knees deep into making this car even better.

To give you an idea what to expect what kinds of threads I will create, here are my other two cars:

2009 Honda Fit with 575k miles

1990 Eunos Roadster - imported Miata, basically

·
Super Moderator
9,176 Posts
Congratulations. Would love to see you put a trip thread, with your pictures, down in the lounge section.

Think about motoring down to the Mid-Atlantic Maintenance Meet on Sept. 25th in Frederick, MD. Chance to get the car on a lift and meet loots of Insight folk:)

Reactions: retepsnikrep

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
How was the battery at the top of Pikes Peak? It's tough to get up there and have anything left at the top.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Believe it or not, I only used half the battery on the last stretch. The rest, I did not use assist at all.
What a great adventure! Congrats on finding the car. I think I saw it listed on CL. Is it the car with a custom rear bicycle rack? Hoping you are able to keep it off salted roads. You probably know that although the aluminum body does not easily corrode many other parts suffer tremendously with salt exposure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What a great adventure! Congrats on finding the car. I think I saw it listed on CL. Is it the car with a custom rear bicycle rack? Hoping you are able to keep it off salted roads. You probably know that although the aluminum body does not easily corrode many other parts suffer tremendously with salt exposure.
Thanks! I found this one here, actually. The seller did tell me he has a homemade wooden ski rack for it, but the snow tires on steel wheels took most of my cargo space.

Lately, it hasn't snowed much in Delaware. Even if it did, I'll be driving my Fit. I'm more afraid of a careless and clueless driver ramming into the Insight. This week, I plan on putting the car in the air to give it a thorough clean underneath and then spray everything, including the rear beam and lines with CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor (6026).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks! I found this one here, actually. The seller did tell me he has a homemade wooden ski rack for it, but the snow tires on steel wheels took most of my cargo space.

Lately, it hasn't snowed much in Delaware. Even if it did, I'll be driving my Fit. I'm more afraid of a careless and clueless driver ramming into the Insight. This week, I plan on putting the car in the air to give it a thorough clean underneath and then spray everything, including the rear beam and lines with CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor (6026).
Great idea. I have a little experience with rust converters and it does seem very effective. Just curious how you have achieved 575k on your Fit? Has it required any major repairs? Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great idea. I have a little experience with rust converters and it does seem very effective. Just curious how you have achieved 575k on your Fit? Has it required any major repairs? Thanks for any information.
CRC 6026 is a rust prohibitor. Kind of like a wax that protects moisture and salt from whatever it is sprayed on. If you've heard of Fluid Film, it's essentially the same thing. Here's a video on a few of them. POR-15 is an example of a rust converter.

I purchased it with 390k miles. Taken it on plenty of road trips and day trips. Most of the maintenance was just your typical replacement of wear and tear items. Recently, I did have to replace the original engine at 561k miles due to me driving into a flooded area at night.

·
Registered
67 Posts
CRC 6026 is a rust prohibitor. Kind of like a wax that protects moisture and salt from whatever it is sprayed on. If you've heard of Fluid Film, it's essentially the same thing. Here's a video on a few of them. POR-15 is an example of a rust converter.

I purchased it with 390k miles. Taken it on plenty of road trips and day trips. Most of the maintenance was just your typical replacement of wear and tear items. Recently, I did have to replace the original engine at 561k miles due to me driving into a flooded area at night.
Thanks very much for the useful information. I will look into the CRC 6026, it sounds like a great product. It amazes me the miles of service many achieve -it speaks highly of Honda engineering. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Julian,
Well done! (Youcrazynutsguytodoit ofcourse.)
Interested in your account of the same trip in a Lamborghini.
It was in fact the striking pose of your red 'sight at Pike's Peak that gave me the idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts