Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2002 Insight - love the car - and I will be driving it through Denver back to the midwest from LA. I have had the battery charge get quite low but never all the way down. I'm concerned about extended up hill grades and (sorry if this is a dumb question but) I wondered if when the charge is all the way down does the car just run on the gas alone until it charges again? Does it mess up the system to let it get all the way down? I don't expect to let that happen but I would like to know in advance, just in case.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Depleting the IMA SoC is unavoidable in mountainous driving without some kind of modification. The system has several sensors to limit the high stresses this can cause the IMA pack. But the bottom line is that the more you cycle the pack the faster it will wear out (up to a limit).

And yes when the IMA pack is thermally stressed or otherwise depleted no assist will be available. You'll be on gas "only" and will notice the loss of the electric "supercharger".

See:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3138

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=3109

The forum search feature will likely yield many more related threads. :)

HTH! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long uphills

Thanks so much for your help! I suspected I'd still be running without the IMA but wanted to be sure. After reading your post and others via the links, I think Honda should hire you!

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Pblack:

___If you are not in a hurry, pack depletion through the mountains is not mandatory but can be held in the 19 - 20 bar range in fact. You will be using the far right, truck-climbing lanes if you chose this method but it worked very well for me … The post linked in the following thread should help.

80 + mpg

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3jqzfnt6][email protected][/email:3jqzfnt6]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
For long hills, down shift at the point where you start seeing any assist, that way you save it for later when you may need it. I drive from Phoenix to Prescott once every few weeks and there's a several mile long 6% grade on the worst part of it, and I can ride it in 3rd all the way up. Only at two of the steepest parts do I ever need assist, and then it's only about a two second cycle on before I can back off a bit.

72mph is red line in 2nd gear so if you get to a really steep part and you have slowed to ~65 don't be afraid to use it if necessary.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Rick wrote:
72mph is red line in 2nd gear
I drive up a 7% grade every day, 72mph in third gear is good, you should stay in third, use assist to pick up speed, but try not to go under 60, if you do most likely you'll have to go to second, but if you keep it at 65 you should be OK.

once you reach the speed you'd like to be in, back of just enough to get off assist, that way you won't drain the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re: Up hills

Again, thanks for the information. I wish the car had been a stick shift instead of automatic. However, I can still downshift when necessary. I did OK going through Flagstaff, AZ so I expect to do OK west of Denver.

Phil

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Re: Long uphills

pblack said:
Thanks so much for your help! I suspected I'd still be running without the IMA but wanted to be sure. After reading your post and others via the links, I think Honda should hire you!

Phil
Your welcome :!: :)

If you worked in a supervisory position with Honda maybe I could get a job there. :!: :p :lol:

p.s. After you get hired let me know when you need me ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
living in Denver

PBlack,
I live in the denver area and commute about 95 miles a day. I go up a pretty steep incline, about 3000 feet climb in 10 miles, and very rarely use my battery pack to climb that hill. Like others have posted, stay inteh truck, slow, lane and you should be fine. One thing to remember is that a climb on one side usually equals a decline on the other, so it allows for recharging. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me locally.

Mark
[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts