Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

im looking at another 2000 with 60 k on it

i made an offer on a previous one, same year, same mileage
but it was not accepted

this one has same mileage, 60k, + new IMA battery

the car was inspected by honda, and the report was shown to me.
the things i am concerned about that were on the report were:
1. excessive rust - (the car is from utah)
i peaked under the car and i did notice a lot of rust close to the springs and the shock absorber mountings

2. leaking oil from the cover plate behind the timing belt

3. POTENTIAL leak from the rear main seal

i spoke to honda service in my area and they said for item #2 it would be $450 to replace.
they said item #3 could not be estiamted over the phone but it would entail disconnecting parts of the transmission to replace a gasket and would be similar in cost to #2.

considering all this my thoughts are to offer $8200

here is my reasoning for that number
9500 is what i would be happy paying
less $1000 to fix #2 & #3
less $300 to remove rust and prime exposed steel compnents

that would equal my offer price of $8200.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
230 Posts
are the oil leaks bad..? does it leak oil onto the ground?
is the bottom of the car covered with oil?
if not, I wouldn't think those repairs are really necessary....if you still think they are, you might want to look elsewhere...but Insights are not real easy to find.

here's the deal I got on my car in Houston, TX around April 2.

2000 47K $8500.

needed brakes (about 20% left)
it too has rust - mainly on the exhaust from the cat forward (it was bought in Ohio I think and was there for about 5 years but only 15000 miles). I jacked up the car many times to spray some protective rustoleum over these areas (hi temp paint where applicable). I use rustoleum hammered paint that can be applied directly over the rust to stop it and protect it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do not think the oils leaks are that bad
i do THINK they are dripping on the ground

with that said, i don t know how much of a bargaining
chip they are.

main thing is, i want to be fair

what do you think?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My Dear Friend. :D

Fair is for elementary school playground games. This is business. :shock:

Hammer them on Every. Little. Thing. Get the price down to nothing. Show no mercy. Look, they're not exactly showing you any mercy when they quote you repairs, and they never will. ;)

"Why, this car is rare, batteries have to be replaced for thousands of dollars, parts are a bear to get, repairs are expensive, it leaks oil here, and here, and look at the rust! Good god almighty, if you want me to take this off your hands, you better get serious about a drive-out price. Fix it like it should be fixed, and I'll do you a favor and take it off your anxious hands for $7450. OK, OK, you're breaking my back here. I'll give you $7550. Jeeeeez... OK, my final offer, $7900, tax title and license, out the door. But I want the next three oil changes thrown in!" :D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Everything is negotiable. Everything (Ahhhhh... I would love to be Ari Gold. My Hero!). And with a private sale... they're looking to get rid of the thing. It's not like they have a car lot and a dealership and thirty other used car buyers walking through the door before sunset today. :D

If you are financially able to, go there with the cash in hand, lay out $7000 in hundreds, and stop. Then, to answer any objections, pull out a single hundred from deep in your pocket, with all the reluctance of a little boy pulling contraband out in front of his teacher. Continue until he/she finally, exasperatedly, exclaims, "You win! Take the car!" :lol:

Seriously, though... don't worry about "fair" because, as we well know, in every deal, each party thinks he or she outsmarted the other. Don't be the goat in your deal. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I bought my current car (Volvo) the guy wanted $2250 I looked at it- took it around the block- talked Volvos with him for a minute or two. Then I told him that I would give him $1400 cash and take the car right then and there. he said "ehh..right now huh?- ok I'm happy with that..." Its a plus to have all the tax/DMV forms in hand...

Needless to say I drive a Volvo and get 14-18MPG :roll:

·
Registered
495 Posts
"... with that said, i don t know how much of a bargaining
chip they are.
Don't be "fair" but don't cheat either.

You have some good barganing chips there. Use them but don't abuse them - there's a difference.

They're in business to sell the car. You're there to buy it or one like it. They know what they've got for sale. Now it's up to you and it seems you've done your homework so far.

Your reasoning behind the price you've determined is reasonable and odds are the seller(s) will understand and appreciate your logic in that regard when presented to them. They know the cost(s) involved (as well as the time lost on the road) involved in bringing the vehicle up into good running condition.

That salesman/woman is NOT your friend. He/she is your opponent. Depending on how much you want the car, make your offer accordingly and do it ".... long arm", which is to say, with a knowledge of what is being offered and for how much.

Be business-like, as best you know how, be business-like. While they may not look like it, those are professional business people you're dealing with and it apprears that you are not and accordingly I offer that if you ever believed anything in your life, believe me when I suggest, they understand the difference between the two.

Hope this helps.

Fred / Proud Owner of "The Silver Bullet"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seller accepted offor of 8500!!!!!!!!

i picked it up last thurs eve!!!!!

ive been driving around LA
i love it!!!!!!!!!!
still feels like a new car
steering and suspension new feeling

i guess i didnt realize how "noisy" driving on the highway can be
typical of a small car

my next question is if anyone can suggest an insight friendly dealer/mech shop that i can build a relationship with for regular maintainace in the LA area.

thanks to all that has helped through the buying/shopping process

i love my new insight

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Congratulations! :D

Enjoy your wonderful Insight, there are a ton of people here who will be more than happy to help you in your Insight journey. You're a lucky, lucky guy! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
fuzzymutt started a new post purchase thread here:
(a better choice for a clear thread title than continuing the post purchase discussion in this thread)

whoooooeeeeee!!!!!
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6422

but in his exuberance he posted in this thread (2 above) first. :oops:

please post follow-up's there :)

Locking for continuity of discussion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.