Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a newbie here so please let me know if there's a better forum area to post my request. Thanks in advance!

I own two 2001 Insights that both need IMA battery upgrades. The dealers want to charge outrageous money to replace the batteries. They both had their batteries replaced in the recall years ago. They are now out of warranty, at least that's what the dealers say here in Portland, OR. I'd like to replace them with the Bumblebee batteries that I found thru the forum here. Unless someone has a better idea. I'm open to suggestion.

I am unfortunately not very mechanical. I don't want to even approach the Hondo dealers with this and I have been unable to find a competent independent Insight mechanic in the area. The few that I've tried have been very open to working with me to keep my cars in shape but they don't have the same equipment as a dealer and/or seem to have the needed expertise to do the job correctly.

Anyone here know of a good Insight mechanic in the Portland OR area that could replace the IMA batteries for me? Specifically I live in Tualatin, which is about 10 miles south of downtown Portland, but of course I'd be willing to work with anyone within a 20 mile radius or so. My plan would be to get set up with a mechanic and have the batteries shipped directly to them to do the work.

Thank you all so much! This is a great site for us diehard Insight owner/fans!!

Ken Taylor

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Ken,
although I'm not in Portland, I'd be happy to help. I sent you a PM.

I've worked on Insights since 2003 and there are plenty of ways to keep your Insights on the road yourself. Even a Bumblebee Battery replacement is manageable by the home repairman with some guidance.

edit: I called Bumblebee and confirmed that they sometimes do installs of their batteries in the Portland area if it fits in their schedule. You can contact them directly and see if that works for you.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Hi,

I'm a newbie here so please let me know if there's a better forum area to post my request. Thanks in advance!

I own two 2001 Insights that both need IMA battery upgrades. The dealers want to charge outrageous money to replace the batteries. They both had their batteries replaced in the recall years ago. They are now out of warranty, at least that's what the dealers say here in Portland, OR. I'd like to replace them with the Bumblebee batteries that I found thru the forum here. Unless someone has a better idea. I'm open to suggestion.

Anyone here know of a good Insight mechanic in the Portland OR area that could replace the IMA batteries for me? Specifically I live in Tualatin, which is about 10 miles south of downtown Portland, but of course I'd be willing to work with anyone within a 20 mile radius or so. My plan would be to get set up with a mechanic and have the batteries shipped directly to them to do the work.

Thank you all so much! This is a great site for us diehard Insight owner/fans!!

Ken Taylor
BumbleBee Batteries is located in Milwaukie, OR - pretty close to you. Eli (owner of Bumblebee) does installations as well, so he could take care of you

·
7,200 Posts
Did someone say Insight mechanic?

Call us at 503-730-8786, we'll take care of you. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, Eric! I just may end up giving you a call. BUT, I'm seriously hopeless at working on cars. One recent example: I uncoupled the battery cables on one of my Insights in order to reset the computer. When I tried to reconnect the cable I ended up stripping the bolt that tightens the cable back on the post!

As it stands I didn't realize that the Bumblee Battery company was located only a few miles from me. I've put a call into them and hopefully they will fix me up.

Thanks, again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts