Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very much want to purchace a used Insight. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat, but I have a company car, so it doesn't make sense to buy a new one. It seems I can get a 2000 or 2001 on ebay with around 70,000 miles for around $8000.

I would love to buy one localy but never see any. Should I be concerned with an Insight with so many miles? Does the battery only last a certain amount of time? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
The Insight IMA has 120 1.2v D-cell rechargeable NiMH batteries. These batteries last a long time but eventually do wear out. There haven't been enough reports of battery failure yet for us to have a good sense of how long the batteries will last. Speculation is that out-of-warranty replacement cost on the battery pack is around $2000.

I have over 70k miles on my Insight and am not concerned about repairs. It is a Honda, after all. Good luck with your decision...

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Want_an_Insight:

___Is your area of AR. rather hilly or is it relatively flat? Here in Illinois, I only have ~ 250’ elevation difference between the highest and lowest points on my daily commute although some are rather short inclines and I have 5 of these nasty SOB’s … In any case, I haven’t seen below 3 SOC bars down (3 out of a possible 20) except 1 time (bumper to bumper - stop and go in the hills far south of me) over 16,000 miles and never had a recal. The previous owner never had a recal and he was driving similar flat terrain west of Sioux Falls, SD. I really don’t think us flatlanders will have the same pack trouble(s) that some of the other Insighter’s in more mountainous terrain have had. I have my fingers crossed of course but there is a fellow Insighter 2 towns over with over 50,000 on his and has never had a recal either? Temperatures during the heat of summer in AR. however wouldn’t be that great for your pack and that could be just as much a problem as hills or mountains to climb in terms of pack longevity?

___Anyway, if you can find a nicely treated 5-speed Insight with that few of miles and your commute isn’t to hilly, I don’t think you will run into any pack trouble until the time the car needs to be replaced for other reasons ...

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2fuwoi4y][email protected][/email:2fuwoi4y]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts