Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my wheels on my first GEN Honda Insight to 15”alloy wheels so I can get a better selection of tire options send me info if you have something in my area available

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,721 Posts
Big heavy wheels and tires are going to kill your mileage and performance. You'll hate them.

Sam

·
Registered
813 Posts
I Wish I could get two 15 inch Space savers or donuts made of aluminum for my two front wheels . And win the lottery. . I looked at my two favorite cars today wow!!! Sure do love these cars.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big heavy wheels and tires are going to kill your mileage and performance. You'll hate them.

Sam

Well the 1.2 lbs difference won’t make to much of an issue as far as I can see

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Well the 1.2 lbs difference won’t make to much of an issue as far as I can see
It isn't just the weight. @Rainsux is correct. Deviate from the stock rims and Potenza tires and you are going to suffer a serious hit in MPG. Please dig through the forums. This has been discussed for 19 years. Having said that, if you don't care about a hit in MPG, that is your choice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well here is the comparison between the G1 Insight and a 2010 Insight 15” wheel

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheels have no bearing on comfort unless there is a large change in unsprung weight but tires do depending on air pressure and shock rates but there is such a small difference, I don’t think you would see a significant drop in mileage. I have found wheels that are 15 x5.5 that only weight 8.5 lbs but they are $600 per wheel custom track wheels. If you could use 15” wheels an a more modern lower rolling resistance tire that has a high tread wear rating of 80000miles wouldn’t you think about it

·
Registered
11 Posts
I want to upgrade my wheels on my first GEN Honda Insight to 15”alloy wheels so I can get a better selection of tire options send me info if you have something in my area available

On a "Honda tuner" forum or other cosmetic-emphasis forum, plus-sizing the wheel-tire combination (increasing the diameter of the wheel, changing to a lower-profile tire sidewall, and keeping the overall tire outer diameter the same) would be considered an upgrade. Primarily, it looks cool to have big wheels and low profile sidewalls. From a performance perspective, the effect is generally to improve braking and cornering responsiveness/feel, at the expense of comfort and efficiency. Whether this constitutes an "upgrade" depends on your goals, but here on the Honda Insight forum you are among people who largely view this tradeoff as a negative. For starters, Insights are very light and very low, so they intrinsically have good cornering and braking, and don't require a harsher wheel/tire combo to compensate. More importantly, most of us drive Insights for the efficiency, and so would not happily trade away a parameter we want to get more of something that's already fine.

Culture shock: different ends, different means. Finding a set of the treasured Civic VX 13" wheels is an upgrade here; switching to 15" wheels is not. While that may seem counterintuitive, consider that making the car lighter, and especially making the rotating mass lighter, also improves cornering and braking.

But nevertheless, many people have certainly traveled the same road you're embarking on, and there is a lot of good information to be had out there. For starters, the Insight uses 4-bolt wheels on a 100 mm bolt circle. There is a huge selection of Honda wheels out there that use the same, so you'll find plenty to choose from, including the second generation Insight, but not the third generation (those use 5-bolt). Additionally, if you stick with Honda brand wheels, the lug recesses are ball-seat (not cone) matching the Honda lugnuts. Most other wheels are cone-seat; you can use them but you have to change the lug nuts too. And finally the centerbore diameter of Honda wheels will match your Honda hubs so the radial load isn't borne entirely by the studs.

And yes, there are indeed many, many more tires to choose from when you switch to a 15" diameter. But to return to the efficiency perspective, the larger the diameter, the rarer it is to find narrow tread width, so although the total number of tires to choose from is large, the number of efficient tires to choose from is diminished (narrower tires are more efficient).

Are you in Davis California, or some other Davis? If California, I suspect Craigslist would have a great many wheels to ogle, and a constantly-changing selection. Happy hunting! And let us know how you're progressing.

Steve B.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately the RE92s are $100 a piece here and now. I simply cant make it happen.

If theyre Japanese they are not garbage right? Just the Chinese ones?
Because theres some 185-55R14s here that can be had for $35 a piece for the mean time. My rears are age cracked and almost showing the wires.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On a "Honda tuner" forum or other cosmetic-emphasis forum, plus-sizing the wheel-tire combination (increasing the diameter of the wheel, changing to a lower-profile tire sidewall, and keeping the overall tire outer diameter the same) would be considered an upgrade. Primarily, it looks cool to have big wheels and low profile sidewalls. From a performance perspective, the effect is generally to improve braking and cornering responsiveness/feel, at the expense of comfort and efficiency. Whether this constitutes an "upgrade" depends on your goals, but here on the Honda Insight forum you are among people who largely view this tradeoff as a negative. For starters, Insights are very light and very low, so they intrinsically have good cornering and braking, and don't require a harsher wheel/tire combo to compensate. More importantly, most of us drive Insights for the efficiency, and so would not happily trade away a parameter we want to get more of something that's already fine.

Culture shock: different ends, different means. Finding a set of the treasured Civic VX 13" wheels is an upgrade here; switching to 15" wheels is not. While that may seem counterintuitive, consider that making the car lighter, and especially making the rotating mass lighter, also improves cornering and braking.

But nevertheless, many people have certainly traveled the same road you're embarking on, and there is a lot of good information to be had out there. For starters, the Insight uses 4-bolt wheels on a 100 mm bolt circle. There is a huge selection of Honda wheels out there that use the same, so you'll find plenty to choose from, including the second generation Insight, but not the third generation (those use 5-bolt). Additionally, if you stick with Honda brand wheels, the lug recesses are ball-seat (not cone) matching the Honda lugnuts. Most other wheels are cone-seat; you can use them but you have to change the lug nuts too. And finally the centerbore diameter of Honda wheels will match your Honda hubs so the radial load isn't borne entirely by the studs.

And yes, there are indeed many, many more tires to choose from when you switch to a 15" diameter. But to return to the efficiency perspective, the larger the diameter, the rarer it is to find narrow tread width, so although the total number of tires to choose from is large, the number of efficient tires to choose from is diminished (narrower tires are more efficient).

Are you in Davis California, or some other Davis? If California, I suspect Craigslist would have a great many wheels to ogle, and a constantly-changing selection. Happy hunting! And let us know how you're progressing.

Steve B.

I’ve worked for 24 years in the Automotive industry as a technician so I have an idea of how all these things work together I’m also an avid track driver I have not found any wheels as of yet but thanks for the info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts