Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I would like to buy a grid charger as I already have a harness installed. If anyone has one to part with, please let me know!

If there's anyone local to me (Lincoln, NE) I would be happy to rent it occasionally. Thanks!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Is it the Hybrid Automotive one or another one? I have a grid charger I'm no longer using since I ended up bypassing the pack. It was used once, just the luck of the draw with the pack dropping a few cells.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
There are many different versions of grid chargers.
Some are a $1,000 (like the Genesis One).

If you can, tell us the maker of the harness for the one you have?
If you are not sure snap a pic of the connector. That should get us on the right track.

·
Super Moderator
6,871 Posts
That harness plug is for either the original Genesis charger invented and marketed by Mike Dabrowski or the variation now sold by HybridRevolt. It is a very well designed charger and was originally around $1000 cost. It is a very complicated computer driven charger with lots and lots of set-up options. There is a good manual on-line and one must spend a bit of time with the manual to understand the charger. But, it is the Cadillac of chargers. One should ask if it comes with the discharge light.

This one just hit eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hybrid-Automotive-Prolong-Deluxe-Charger-Discharger-Insight-Prius-Civic-Hybrid/143022586527

It is also highly regarded and widely used by members.

·
Super Moderator
6,871 Posts
Well, that charger has been a bit controversial. It may work fine as a charger, but there is no provision or capability for discharging. Though no statistical data to back it up, many senior members think the discharge half is more valuable than charging.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Hybrid Automotive (HA) was able to supply a cable allowing me to connect a Prolong discharger to my Genesis One (now HybridRevolt) car harness. They might be able to do the same for one of their chargers so you could still use the existing harness in your car if you are considering a HA charger.

It would be a good idea to confirm that this harness was installed correctly. Instructions are available at the HybridRevolt site. http://hybridrevolt.com/Harness_G1_Insight.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts