Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I'm hoping to find an enthusiastic Insight owner who might be interested in being interviewed for a news segment on hybrid cars. Ideally, I'd like to find someone who has owned their car for some time and has useful tips for maximizing fuel economy.

We'd need to interview you by this Wednesday, May 19th. If interested, call, e-mail, or IM me.

Thank you.

Dave Kunz
Automotive Reporter
KABC-TV
Glendale, CA
818-863-7626

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Looks like I'll be the one, I am new to the Insight Central forum, but I have been driving my Insight for the past 3 years, and have almost 100k miles on it, I have been in the 100 MPG over 10 times.
I have done some mods to my car, and will be posting some pictures and data soon.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Be sure to tell the reporter that a hybrid drives like any other car, but if you look at the dashboard (easy), you can get 15-20% better milage and still keep up with freeway traffic.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I just want to let everyone know KABC did the interview today, I will be driving tomorrow a new insight (2004) they will provide the car, the drive is going to be around 4 PM RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC!!!
I should be able to handle it.
Will keep your posted.

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
"Calpod" will be on TV with the results of his drive on channel 7, ABC, LA. at 5PM (Ca, Time).

Good luck
Don't forget it's new so the mileage will be lower....4K break in.

Try to get KABC to sponser a 600 mile "mileage run. :twisted:

G

·
0 Posts
Hi CalPod:

___And don’t forget to get those tires pumped up before you drive away … 50 #’s as a minimum. Check that the oil level isn’t overfilled. If you cannot achieve Autostop in bumper to bumper, turn the key back one click and forward 1 click after 1 blink of the security key icon. Then restart as necessary. Don’t hang on the bumper of the guy in front. Let a car or three gap develop and then restart her and take up the slack with a car or more coast as you autostop of force the ICE to shutdown w/ the key again. If you have a slight slope downward, stay in autostop and coast as best you can down that slope … No A/C if it’s not too hot?

___Or just drive like you normally would and see what a new 04 is actually worth ;)

___Good Luck and keep us informed.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:318ajrmi][email protected][/email:318ajrmi]

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Thanks for the tips Willie and Xcel, I've driven plenty in traffic so it should not be a problem, I will check the tirepressure and oil level. Willie, I'll mention the mileage run.
I was told the drive would be about 25 miles, I will come in early to check the car, and will make sure the engine is warmed up, the windows are down so it won't be too hot inside, I will have a passenger with me, she will be reporting on the mileage progress, stay tuned at 5.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Delta Flyer,

I searched the internet and found a link to the station, but so far there is not a story on the Insight posted to it yet. I'm thinking maybe the story is airing tonight and maybe it'll be on the website tomorrow. In any case, here's a link to the station:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
The reason they want to use a different car is because mine is silver and they said red will show better on tv, besides they want to make the point with a new car not a 2000, they are already running promos here in the LA area, and the car they show in the promos is mine, they also took a picture or my dash, and a picture I took at 100.8 MPG :p

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I just found out I might be driving my car after all, and there is also a Prius so they will be comparing my mileage to the prius, I'll keep you posted when I get back.

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
Just finished watching the Hybrid Test on KABC.
Dissapointed in the results. (Prius won) but it was interesting.

Will have to wait for the partisipants to reply for the details.

I almost drove up there to shadow them..........(So Cal Champ at 74+)

A lot of Insight shots, and it looks a lot better than the Prius oging down the road.

I think all should "E" mail the station and give them a positive THANK YOU.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I just came back home from the test, and I'm also dissapointed on the way they figured out the mileage, when we got out of the cars we compared mileage, the Prius owner told me he got 52 MPG, I got 64 MPG.
When we filled up mi car took 1.05 gallons, and the Prius took .957, but since it was being shot live he just figured out the mileage from the gas we put in the cars, if you all know the Prius has a bladder in the gas tank, so it's not very accurate when you fill-up.
I think this worked to their advantage this time, even the owner of the Prius was surprised he said he never got mileage that high, he said "somebody at Toyota is going to be very happy tonight"
I mentioned to the reporter the discrepancy but he said that since it was shot live there is nothing he could do.
At least the reporter said when we were on the freeway that my mileage was 64, and she was very impressed how it felt, (like a regular car)

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
After viewing the KABC test I sent Mr. Kunz an E mail thanking him and indicateing my displeasure.

Here is his reply.

"Thanks for the note.. One problem we had was that the particpants deviated from the assigned route and we didn't have time to debrief them before the live shot. If I had, I would have certainly mentioned the fact that Walter's on board MPG was reading 63.

We may do another next week on the Ford Escape If I can work it out. If so, I will certainly mention the discrepancy in the Insight's mileage. I've driven them myself, so I know what's actually possible.

Enjoy your trip, and your fabulous MPG."

Regards,
Dave Kunz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts