Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 2000 Insight with 137k miles that has been dropping in mileage for quite a while. The most notable immediate drop was after going to the dealer for an ECU update last year and our daily average moved from 60mpg to 55 almost instantly and has never gone back up. I took it back to Honda of Kirkland, asked them to look into the issue and also adjust the valves since they sounded noisy to me. I got the car back, still with ~55mpg average, still with noisy engine and then went through all of the things they recommended to boost mileage. This included: checking tire pressure (I set them to 44psi all around, they were between 40 and 42), replacing spark plugs (type B), new air filter (K&N), oil change, resetting the battery charge system, etc. No change in mileage, despite being hopeful it would have been one of the above items. That was last spring/summer. Now the car is running noticeably rough, mileage is down to 47mpg, car feels definitely down on power, doesn't maintain speed in higher gears (kind of surges like it's misfiring), the battery never reaches full charge, the service needed light is lit and I'm ready to take it to a dealer to see what they can figure out. It's also making a weird groaning/buzzing sound down low near the driver's door whenever you accelerate hard up a hill & draw full IMA power.

Honda of Kirkland has been pretty lousy so far so I'm looking for an alternative in the area. Any suggestions for a better dealer or independent service center?

Thanks,

Joel

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far, no one has stepped forward on this forum or among the folks that I know with a recommendation for Honda service in the Seattle area. That's troubling. The best recommendation I got was for Greg's Japanese and when I called, the guy named Mark on the phone was well aware of the fact that Insights have indexed spark plugs (Codes A, B, C or D) and seemed to know pretty well what kinds of issues the cars tend to have. So, I'm going to take the car to Renton Honda (pretty far out of the way for me) for diagnosis of the IMA system first (Greg's won't touch that part) and if needed, go to Greg's for diagnostic work on the rest.

As for obtaining parts, wow, what a difference there is between web-facing parts counters at Honda dealers & the brick & mortar parts counter. I just need a few cheap parts to replace the worn out airbox mounts which have rattled all the way through the rubber (really noisy, engine cover did the same, replaced those too) . Online, these are $2.46 each x 3. At Renton Honda, it's $5.99 + tax and they have to order 2 of the 3 for me. Even with $10 shipping, it's cheaper to order these + a $4 EGR gasket online than to pay more than 2x the price @ the dealer. Oh well.

Joel

·
Registered
416 Posts
I can't recommend a service area, but the surging certainly soulds like an egr valve.

Was the ecu update done on the actual ecu or was it perhaps the bcm and/or mcm? Many, many people have reported mpg loss after mcm/ bcm replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts