Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm now, unfortunately, in the market for a bolt to hold on the passenger side skirt. Luckily the other one is still there and tends to be holding just fine, but just knowing there's a bolt missing makes me nervous on bumps.

My question is, does anybody have or have access to a wrecked insight that could get me this bolt? Or even a couple of bolts in case I lose one in the future?

I think I can get them from my dealer for like $20 but that's kind of expensive. I also ask because if anybody has access to a wrecked insight maybe there are a few other backup spare parts that I could possibly purchase of obtain? ie. I wouldn't mind having another set of silver side skirts in case mine get scratched or get ripped or fall off. I already have a backup set of floor mats. Other lil things I can't think of right now.

Just asking. If nobody can get these bolts or doesn't have access to a wrecked insight I could go to my dealership, but I figured it'd be ok to ask here first.

Thanks all!
GliTcH

P.S - Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Been wracking up "experience" on my insight so I have more stories to tell. hehe.

P.P.S - I keep getting so many ppl asking me questions about the Insight or wanting to check it out and such. I think if I manage to interest anybody into buying one, Honda should give me some kind of sales credit. I think I interested at least 2 ppl so far to go out and test drive and possibly purchase one. However I did tell them to wait and check out the 2004 Prius when it comes out because it looks spectacular. But dont' get me wrong, I love the Honda Insight.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I had to replace two of them that fell off of my car when I did not refasten them properly. I conveniently have the reciept here with the part number. It is 663660, they list for $10.07 at H parts. Still expensive for a freakin screw. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
My bolt was loose and I couldn't tighten well so I went to Walmart and bought nylon liscense plate bolt and nut kit. Works great!
Nice and tight and will never rust.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I can verify that the dealer wants $20 for a single bolt. The right side rear wheel cover caught some asphalt when it slipped. Fortunately the nick is not very noticable as the dealer want $225 for replacements. I'm going to try thread glue on the bolts.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dzus spat fasteners

You might want to try a dab of silicone/rtv on the spat fasteners. Thread lock compound might work, but it is designed to work with threads - and what the fasteners have could only very loosely be called a thread.

A dab of silicone will keep them from backing out (although they should stay if properly installed), but won't prevent you from removing them when it's time to rotate the tires.

If I ever get some spare time I'm going to check out an industrial supply house near me that carries lots of oddball stainless steel stuff - they just might have them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dzus Fasteners

The fender skirts are "dzus fasteners". They have been discussed in the forum before and one member posted a source for aluminum ones that have retaining clips so they won't fall out when the skit is removed, and as a bonus, they don't rust.

I forget what his source was, but you might be able to find some at http://www.aircraftspruce.com. Otherwise, if you have any friends who are active EAA members or are building an aircraft, they might GiVE you a couple of these fasteners...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I found them on Majestic Honda's website:

209564 FASTENER, RR. WHEELHOUSE SPATS $10.92

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Also, to hold them in place you can use 1/4" round speed nuts. Most all auto parts stores carry them. They slip right over the end of the fastener hold it in the wheel skirt. Only negative thing to this set-up is it makes reinstalling the wheel shirt a little more difficult, cos the fastener gets in the way.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___I hope this is pertinent but after reading ~ 5,000 posts in the Yahoo - Honda-Hybrid forums over the last three or four weeks, these links might help …

___First read this thread here. Afterwards, you can head on over to these two links here and here. I personally like the Walmart purchased nylon nut & bolt arrangement myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2fj208fw][email protected][/email:2fj208fw]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I used the Walmart nylon nut and bolt for over 6 months.
Unfortunately there is a risk of damaging it by overtightening, and it got weaker after removing and installing it several times.
I no longer recommend them.
So from my work place I got plated metal M6 clip nuts and M6 bolts.
They look similar to these

http://apriliaforum.safeshopper.com/10/1405.htm?785

Very solid!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts