Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is cycling into purge every 30 seconds, and not reliably going into lean burn. On top of low power issues since Ive owned the car.

Need to try a good ecu and see if that's been the problem this whole time.

I have paypal ready to go,
Thank you

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have never heard of an ECM fail on the forum (though I have not read all the posts). The oxygen sensor seems more likely a culprit. If it is not the correct one, it will not work properly. It doesn't help that at least one O2 sensor that comes up for one of the cars in RockAuto and Amazon is actually the wrong sensor for the car.

Did something happen that leads you to believe that the ECM is faulty?

The different ECMs for different model years are not compatible. A 2006 ECM won't start a 2004 car. A 2000-2001 won't work in a 2002-2006 because of differences in the oxygen sensor setup, and the MT and CVT ECMs are incompatible.

By "car cycling into purge every 30 seconds" and "not reliably going into lean burn", do you mean that you're entering lean burn, but it goes into purge every 30 seconds (which doesn't sound abnormal)?

What year and transmission are your car? (answer helps point to the type of LAF sensor you need).
Do you know when the primary O2 sensor aka LAF sensor was last changed if ever, and if so, with what make and model? (To help identify if the sensor was replace with something other than the OEM version).
How many miles are on the car? (The sensors should be good for maybe 100,000 miles, and degrade gracefully meaning you probably will lose mileage but won't see a code.)
What other maintenance items have you done to the car (ie, valve lash adjustment, replaced EGR valve, verified no vacuum leaks, etc)
Is the check engine light on? If so, what codes are being thrown? (may be time to peel the onion)

My car had multiple problems that I had to fix before I got it back to good mileage. It was not giving me any codes, just with kinda low power and not getting great mileage. A bunch of small fixes (that all needed to be done because of the car's age and wear on the components) brought it back a little at a time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We (mostly other forum members suggesting things) went through the whole list replacing everything with oem compatible parts, including compression and leak testing. Ecu is the last thing I haven't checked.

All maintenance items were done, and I'm about to revamp most of the engine's seals and gaskets, update valve lash, and oem PCV valve and grommet

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did something happen that leads you to believe that the ECM is faulty?

By "car cycling into purge every 30 seconds" and "not reliably going into lean burn", do you mean that you're entering lean burn, but it goes into purge every 30 seconds (which doesn't sound abnormal)?

Is the check engine light on? If so, what codes are being thrown? (may be time to peel the onion)
Since I've owned the vehicle it has been low on power. I have verified this by riding/driving other members cars, as well as a previous insight I owned.

It also BARELY accelerates once in lean burn, at sea level. When I lived at 6000+ft, it wouldn't accelerate at all in lean burn, and with A/C on, would barely accelerate even at 13.7A/F in first gear.

Then yesterday, these additional symptoms cropped up, even with the IMA C&C unplugged.

To clarify the purge and lean burn comments, the car WILL NOT go into lean burn anymore in the 4 lower gears unless TPS is at or below 14% whereas it was reliably doing so previously at 18% This is a massive change, out of the blue.

The cat purge cycle, which would only occur in 4/5th gear steady throttle above 50mph every 3 minutes, now occurs in any gear multiple times per minute. This is also a massive change.

·
Super Moderator
5,090 Posts
You know you'll have to deal with the immobilizer, right? Make sure you get the key that matches the ECU.

Sam

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
you can also do an immobilizer bypass (google for details).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts