Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, New to the Forums. I am interested in buying a Gen 1 insight. All of the cars I have been looking at have either been in an accident or have 250k Miles. I am looking for a lower milage car I can drive around. I am located in Southern California and am willing to ship. Please let me know if you are selling or know someone who is selling. Wanting to buy pretty much ASAP. Color doesn't really matter. The hybrid battery can be out or on the way out, I am willing to replace the battery if need be. Also, I would prefer an automatic Since California traffic sucks but it is not necessary.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Automatic or manual, or does it matter?
Probably Automatic. I know the manuals get better mpgs and I know the basics of driving manual but have not driven more than an hour on a manual. Being in California I do not want to be in bumper to bumper in a manual, but if it is at a good price then ill consider it definitely.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wouldn't rule out a G1 with 250k miles if it seems to have been maintained well. With cars these age, the maintenance (or lack thereof) often matters more than mileage. These little engines just go and go and go. At this point, it seems to be getting unusual to find ones with much less than 200k. Keep in mind that the majority of these cars were made in 2000-2002, making them around 20 years old. A 20 year old car will have 200k+ on the clock even if it's been driven LESS than the national average every year.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,464 Posts
Where are you in Ca. Be specific.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about a well-maintained car with 250,000 miles on it. In fact, that might be better than a low mileage car that has spent a lot of time sitting.

No car does well sitting for extended periods. Seals dry out, rubber cracks, fluids go bad, electrical contacts oxidize, critters move in and start to nibble. On an Insight, you can add that the IMA battery discharges and needs reconditioning.

If you do buy a low mileage car, look for one that has been driven a fair amount recently, as the owner is likely to have sorted through any storage-related issues.

These are sweet little cars, with a few design quirks, and now some foibles because of their age. But mine, which I purchased last year with 248k miles, has been one of the best cheap and reliable cars I’ve owned. It’s now over 260k.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

- Park

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Have you checked CarGurus lately? 4 automatic transmission Insights are listed in CA. One in San Diego.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you checked CarGurus lately? 4 automatic transmission Insights are listed in CA. One in San Diego.
I did, that silver one in San Diego is essentially a nogo. I talked to the dealer, IMA light came on during the second test drive. Pulled a carfax which they don't do. Asked if it had been in an accident and he said no (it did in 2009). I offered a price that would be reasonable for a car in an accident with a bad battery and he laughed and took offence, kicked me off the lot. The younger guy said it's their first hybrid they have tried to sell. They know nothing about this car and do not want to know anything about this car. So anyway. Looking now I am torn between shipping a red one from a dealer in Scottsdale AZ. Super clean. Or buying a used 2003-2009 Prius with or without a bad battery.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Get the Arizona car. You only live once. The Honda Insight is a remarkable car. It’s more fun Than a peanut butter strawberry jam sandwich and a snickers almond candy bar. And a blizzard from the Dairy Queen.

And just think about the aluminum you’ll learn to love. If you take interest in the car and read up what all these geniuses are talking about.Your IQ is likely to double. And women will just go crazy over you. Anytime you win the lottery and get millions and millions of dollars the women will find you more interesting.

But for real I’ve got six of these cars and I just can’t hardly stand it they make me feel so good.🤓

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wouldn’t write off a 250k example either. I bought my 00 in 2014 with 248K on the clock.

I’m now at 460K with no hard failures from the car. I drive cross country with this thing in confidence.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,464 Posts
Please include your location in your Profile. Thank You.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hopefully you are checking out the for sale listings here on InsightCentral.

I just sold the 69,000 mile one I had for sale. ($4,200) (headed over to update that next)

Still have a beautiful 75,000 mile Red 5-speed listed ($6,250)

I'm in Wisconsin, so it would likely be another $1000 in shipping.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey all, New to the Forums. I am interested in buying a Gen 1 insight. All of the cars I have been looking at have either been in an accident or have 250k Miles. I am looking for a lower milage car I can drive around. I am located in Southern California and am willing to ship. Please let me know if you are selling or know someone who is selling. Wanting to buy pretty much ASAP. Color doesn't really matter. The hybrid battery can be out or on the way out, I am willing to replace the battery if need be. Also, I would prefer an automatic Since California traffic sucks but it is not necessary.

Thanks!
I have a 2000 silver m/t with A/C 147,000 miles, grid charger, some other parts. I am in Minden, NV. Russell Weil

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks!
$4,900
Private Seller
North Palm Beach, FL 33408
from Autotrader.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn’t write off a 250k example either. I bought my 00 in 2014 with 248K on the clock.

I’m now at 460K with no hard failures from the car. I drive cross country with this thing in confidence.
What? 460K miles!! Insane - amazing. I have a 2005 CVT and as original owner just turned 180K. Unfortunately, I don't drive it much as I've worked from home for last 8 years. It definitely is the most reliable car I've had.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts