Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a come and go lurker for this forum for a while, I've got a Red 2000 Insight and it's been great but recent things have been moving me toward a new vehicle.

I'm thinking about getting a Hyundai Ioniq, and would like to know if there's any opinions from other informed hybrid owners about how it compares. Obviously more spacious and more up to date on the tech front but how it's electric systems compare by quality to the Insight which didn't seem to show many issues for over a decade other than the IMA battery. They are also offering lifetime battery warranty which sounds amazing.

Additionally I am wondering if anyone here would be interested in my Insight for their own usage. Currently the IMA battery is dead with the error codes P1447 and P1449 and it's been a debate about replacing that with a Bumblebee battery and continuing with a 5 year warranty or putting that into a new car. And currently am having issues with the 12V battery keeping a charge, will be looking at my IMA connection tonight to make sure it's not the cause.

The car is almost fully original, IMA has been replaced a few times, the speaker system was changed out, and the small central back window was replaced after it was broken in the garage by some wood. I'm the second owner, the first was my grandparents who bought it new.

Thanks for reading.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
It's always cheaper to keep your old car running than to buy a new one. $2K battery vs $30K new car. No payments vs payments. Worse gas mileage. Higher insurance. Do the math.

Sam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is cheaper in the immediate view, however the offer of a new car now without having to worry about one of the major expenses and having comparable gas mileage sounds pretty good. And like I mentioned, the money to fix this now could be put toward the new vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
I will never try to talk anybody out of buying a car because they WANT to. I've been buying cars I wanted for 60 years. I would be way ahead if I had always kept the perfectly good one I already had instead of swapping. But what fun is that? If you want it, buy it. But don't try to justify it financially. It doesn't work that way. All those dealerships weren't built by customers making good financial decisions. Put a battery toward a new car and you'll still owe somebody $28K. As long as the extra expenses are in your budget, go for it.

Sam

·
Registered
918 Posts
I would say for the money send it down to LHT in Florida and either have the engine turbo'd to about 5 or 6 psi and the IMA completely removed and bypassed for similar or greater than current performance or take less money than than the new car and have it turned into a K-Sight, maybe even the 500 hp AWD version if you really want some fun.

·
Registered
261 Posts
IMO - the best of both here is a used hybrid - I've owned Hyundai and would again, but know that ANY Hyundai will depreciate terribly - take advantage of that with a used hybrid - save money, get a nicer car, keep the MPG

https://www.autobytel.com/top-10-cars/used-cars/hybrid-cars/

From this list I'd have to look at a Prius C or V depending - Ford C-Max - Volt
The Prius V and C Max having the most room

Just food for thought....

Also, depending on the main use of this vehicle, you could consider a used EV - The Leaf for example can be had cheap and full EV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts