Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Where? When? How? Details, please. I need new tires for my 2001. Best price I could find is $90.99 at Walmart.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Where? When? How? Details, please. I need new tires for my 2001. Best price I could find is $90.99 at Walmart.
Save yourself an expensive lesson and reconsider buying RE92's. If you do a lot of aggressive city driving they wear out in like 25,000 (or even 20,000) miles or less. At least for me they did, and a decent amount of others on this forum. I'm sure for slower or a lot of highway guys they are nice but just a heads up!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Go to any Discount Tires, have they price match Costco or go to Costco.
If Discount Tires wants you to have a Costco card, go to another Discount Tires.

·
Super Moderator
448 Posts
Save yourself an expensive lesson and reconsider buying RE92's. If you do a lot of aggressive city driving they wear out in like 25,000 (or even 20,000) miles or less. At least for me they did, and a decent amount of others on this forum. I'm sure for slower or a lot of highway guys they are nice but just a heads up!!!
It true, there are a few people who have complained about short tire life with the Bridgestone RE92s. If you are one of those people, then maybe this tire isn't for you.

But, to just blanket say, "don't buy the RE92 because I wore them out quickly with my super aggressive driving style" is asinine. The majority of Insight owners can easily get 40,000+ miles out of their Bridgestone RE92s.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I totally agree. Even with my "Hotrod" style of driving, I get usually around 40K out of the tires.

·
Super Moderator
4,837 Posts
+2. I agree. I don't have any problem at all with the tread life.

Sam

·
Registered
137 Posts
huh interesting. My front end is tight and all the bushings are nice with a new alignment yet the tires literally lasted like 20,000 miles. I dunno how how people are getting double the life

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Maybe it is your "road surfaces".

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
huh interesting. My front end is tight and all the bushings are nice with a new alignment yet the tires literally lasted like 20,000 miles. I dunno how how people are getting double the life
Do you rotate the tires? I think that halves the life, but only the front pair. Some people don't rotate - but then they just replace 2 at a time...

·
Super Moderator
4,837 Posts
Taking turns at speed (Agressive city driving) puts a lot of wear on the front tires. As with most Insight things, slow down.

Sam

·
Registered
839 Posts
First set of my RE92 lasted 26,375 miles,
Second set of my RE92 lasted 23,105 miles.

I drive my Insight like I stole it.

35mph 90 degree turn? No problem.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Based on mileage and current tread life I'm estimating between 40,000 and 55,000 miles on my RE92s. I also corner pretty fast around down (conservation of momentum lol) so that doesn't help much. For me that's about 4-5 years on a set of tires.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There is no CostCo or Discount Tires anywhere within 250 miles of me, so those don't look promising. The search for a deal continues.
Regarding RE92 tire life, almost all of my insight driving is my daily interstate commute with the IMA off to conserve a prematurely weak Bumblebee pack that throws IMA lights if I leave it on too long. Tread life has been fine, lasting years, as I drive very moderately for mpg, not thrills. Incidentally, I find that highway driving at ~3K rpm, often in 4th gear, with the IMA switched off does not give me much of a hit in mpg. I still get lots of lean burn and frequently over 70 mpg, sometimes 80mpg, in summer. And the 2001 MT just passed 400,000 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I put RE92's on at 142K. I am now at 166K. I rotate at the recommended Costco intervals, every 6,000 to 8,000 miles. The tires show very little wear. I do not accelerate hard or corner hard. Hell is only half full, there is room for all of us so I do not have to rush anywhere.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not finding any Balck Friday deals on these, so It looks like WalMart for $90.99 is the best deal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts