Honda Insight Forum banner

Loose master brake cylinder cap

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  joecvt 
#1 ·
Sorry if there are postings on this already but I cannot find them. My brake master cylinder cap appears and feels loose. THe arrow on top is about 15 degrees from straight and the cap locking tabs do not look turned all the way into lock detents. The cap feel loose fitting, too.

However, when I attempt to tighten it including pressing down rather hard, it does not turn anymore. Anybody know the trick here? My guess is the dealer mechanic did not know either when the car had all new calipers and rotors installed due to rust and frozen calipers after first winter season here in Live Freeze and Die New Hampshire.

thanks, tr

#2 ·
I never had to press down to get mine to lock....

Where in New Hamshire are you located? I'm in Somersworth (next to Dover). If you are nearby, perhaps you can take a look at my cap to check if there is any difference.

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

#3 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply

I live in Hanover where there are numerous other G1 Insights to wave to. I will try simply twisting harder without pushing down. Does your 2003 have the arrow on top of the cap and does it point straight forward?

I depart tomorrow at 4AM for two week driveto FL, AL and back. Got over 70 mpg each way on similar trip two years ago in my dead stock 5 speed. Going I95 most of way to stay on flat ground since I know from living here how much my car hates the hills. -tr

#4 ·
Does your 2003 have the arrow on top of the cap and does it point straight forward?
Yes, mine has an arrow and it does point straight towards me.

Towards me = When lifting the hood standing in front of the car, it points directly at 6 o'clock posistion. Maybe mine is 180 degrees off but it is on tight :)

JoeCVT = Just your average CVT owner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.