Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 2000 honda 5-speed on the highway and simply lost all power. It was like the gas pedal no longer existed. It dropped to an idle and I coasted to a stop. The engine did not make significant noise so I did not think that I had thrown a rod or caused major damage to the engine. I check the throttle cable from the pedal to the throttle housing and it is still in place. Even now, I can start the car, but it does not react at all when I push on the gas pedal- it just stays at idle. Any idea what this could be. I believe the 2000 insight throttle is mechanical since there is a cable running from the pedal to the throttle housing. Any help would be appreciated. K Kerns

·
Registered
971 Posts
It is a mechanical throttle. Have you confirmed that the throttle moves on the intake when you press the accelerator? If yes, you can try borrowing an OBD2 reader from a parts store. Check for codes and report what you have. Then, check to see if in the live data (see link below) there is a throttle position sensor (TPS) measurement. (I use an advanced reader which does have this in the data stream.) If the throttle position sensor value is not changing when you press the accelerator, but the throttle moves on the throttle body, the next question is whether there is ANY change in sound when you press the throttle. If it changes somewhat, then the throttle position sensor may be at fault. This also could be an electrical problem. If there is no sound at all, perhaps a throttle body linkage problem. Obviously if it is none of the above, there is more to investigate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a mechanical throttle. Have you confirmed that the throttle moves on the intake when you press the accelerator? If yes, you can try borrowing an OBD2 reader from a parts store. Check for codes and report what you have. Then, check to see if in the live data (see link below) there is a throttle position sensor (TPS) measurement. (I use an advanced reader which does have this in the data stream.) If the throttle position sensor value is not changing when you press the accelerator, but the throttle moves on the throttle body, the next question is whether there is ANY change in sound when you press the throttle. If it changes somewhat, then the throttle position sensor may be at fault. This also could be an electrical problem. If there is no sound at all, perhaps a throttle body linkage problem. Obviously if it is none of the above, there is more to investigate.

thanks Sean. I will use the sensor and see what I get. I did have it towed to a honda dealership. The guy said I ruined the engine, but I don't think he even looked at it. Thanks for the info. I will get back to this post with the results of the scan. K

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Is it an automatic. You may need a new flywheel. Don’t fall for the transmission trick ..than dealer tells ya after they get in there that we recommend a new flywheel.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The OP said the car remains at idle, which I presume meant that the car starts and the engine RPM remains at idle, and pushing the throttle does not alter how the engine sounds. I did immediately think "broken camshaft" when I read the first few sentences. But if the cam did break, it would not idle, or it will idle like a cylinder or two are gone, and stepping on the accelerator should change the RPM. Because the OP has implied that it remains at a constant idle regardless of throttle position, it doesn't sound like a cam problem.

I took a quick look at a throttle body I happen to have nearby and there's not a heck of a lot to break. This one showed some rust so a snapped throttle cable might not be out of the question. It will be interesting to see if he gets a helper to push the accelerator, and see whether or not the linkage rotates the input at the throttle body. If the throttle position sensor or its wiring has failed, it would not signal the need for fuel, but I think if the accelerator were then opened up, it would change the sound of the engine or perhaps even stall it (waaaay too lean?)

Another question is whether or not it has an aftermarket cruise control mod, and if so, whether that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Inspecting throttle operation does sound like the first order of business...

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
It's at the dealer, so he had better go buy a jar of "vaseline" for the relief of the estimate, soon given..
(New meds)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all of you for your input. I am new to this whole forum thing and I appreciate you taking the time. I have the car at home and I have a good code reader so will try that first. I did have a friend watch the throttle housing while I pressed the gas pedal and it moves the mechanism just fine. I am not sure if I should just replace the entire throttle housing (whatever it is actually called) or take the top of the engine off and inspect the cylinders/valves, etc... for any damage. As you can tell, I don't know much about cars. My other car is a 1974 International Scout. It is much easier to work on. The engine in the insight is the size of a shoebox- LOL. I will post again after I use the code reader this weekend. Thanks again. K

·
Registered
971 Posts
Does the sound of the engine change at all when you press the gas pedal, that is, it stays around idle but the note changes as the butterfly valve inside the throttle body opens and closes and allows more air to be drawn into the engine?

Looking forward to hearing whether the code reader reveals anything, and if the live data stream show the TPS changing when you press it.

If the data stream does not show the TPS responding, I would pick up a manual and find the pages for diagnosing the throttle position sensor. There should be some very specific tests to help narrow down the problem to a specific wire, the sensor or the ECU (or none of these).

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
OP:
Please include your Location in your Profile. You may need some first hand help, like a lot of new Insighters have needed. Thank You.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It should definitely rev up when you open the throttle butterfly. Fuel + air + spark = ignition. Possibly you sucked something up into the air box that's completely obstructing it?

I'm struggling to think of situations where the car will idle smoothly, but not rev up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My car has always started great. I turn the key and it fires right up into an idle. When I press on the gas pedal, absolutely no change occurs with the engine at all. It stays at a perfect idle as if the gas pedal is not connected to the throttle mechanism- but it is, and the mechanism on the throttle housing controlled by the pedal cable moves it's full range. It is clear to me that there is no movement of the butterfly at all. Even if I had damaged the engine, I would think that pressing down on the gas pedal would result in some type of revving of the engine- even just a slight amount-if the throttle mechanism was doing its job. But nothing. That is why I believe, at this point, there is some type of failure inside the throttle housing. I live in Denver, so if any of you know anyone in my area who would be interested in assisting me that would be great. Also, my car has 248,000 miles on it- if that could possibly make a difference. I also looked into getting a hayes/chilton manual for the car but you go to their website, put in 2000, Honda, and then in the drop down box for "model" does not even list Insight as a choice (??). Any ideas where I could get a manual for my 2000 insight? Thanks again to all. K

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is no way you "ruined the engine", it's simply not getting air. Somewhere between the air intake and throttle body is completely obstructed, or the butterfly isnt opening. It's probably going to be a simple repair once you get the intake disassembled.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
There is no way you "ruined the engine", it's simply not getting air. Somewhere between the air intake and throttle body is completely obstructed, or the butterfly isnt opening. It's probably going to be a simple repair once you get the intake disassembled.
Yeah. Sounds to me like perhaps the the throttle butterfly sheared where it connects to the pulley on the outside.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,325 Posts
There are several Insighters in the DENVER area that I hope will assist you. Please include your Location in your Profile, and it will always show up on your avatar or anytime someone hovers over your id.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts