Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone shed any light on this....My car has been off the road for three months with a full charge when parked.Its in dry storage and has had a trickle charge to the 12 volt battery.
Yesterday I started up but it used the regular starter motor and imediately started a recal.After warming up slightly I increased the revs to 3200 and slowly charged the main pack up to 10 bars and when dropping the revs (satisfied with that amount) noticed that when touching the brake another bar would appear.I kept nudging the brake until full except one bar all this at any rev even idle.
Next thing I noticed was the EPS light was on so shut down and then restarted on the pack this time but the light remained and no assist on steering.The fuses under the hood check out OK.
All this happened while stationary in the garage no odd smells or anything unusual. :?:

DGate

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,960 Posts
Check the wireing under the bonnet. Especially for "mice" damage.

Willie

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Have you tried driving the car to see if it goes away?
When I was driving my Insight on race track time trials, I would force charge my battery by idling at 3200 RPM just like you described. Sometimes the EPS light would come on, when I started to drive the steering would be stiff but after a few seconds the EPS light would turn off and everything felt normal again. It happened a number of times but it only had me worried for the first few seconds the first time it happened.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that I will test it but until I am ready to tax the car again for the road it will have to wait.Its comforting to know it happened to you and went away under similar circumstances.
We have big brother here in the UK,there are cameras everywhere and certainly on the main roads which tie into the main computer holding info on all vehicles.
If you do not have a current road tax or insurance or MOT (yearly roadworthyness check) the computer automatically issues a fine.There are even mobile camera units around and all police cars have them as well...aaaaaaahhh stop the planet and let me off. :(

I checked for wiring damage (mice) but found none,do not have the little critters anyway.

DGate

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
All you need is a driveway 2 or 3 car lengths long to just drive back and forth and steer a little bit.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My EPS light has now gone out and the power assist is working again.

Guillermo I took your advice and went to back out into the driveway and it corrected itself almost imediately,Thanks for the input guys.

Actually my initial response was to move the car back and forth while rocking the steering but that didn't work so thats when I asked for info.
I had two more cars behind so didn't back fully out.

DGate

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just had this happen to me yesterday. I replaced my LED dash and had to unhook the ground from the battery to do so. After hooking everything back up I had to go through the engine idle re-learn procedure. This is to run the engine at 3000rpms until the fan turns on and then let the car idle for 5 minutes.
After the high idle my EPS light came on. I looked in my shop manual and it said if the car is stopped and the rpms are over 2200 for more then 6 minutes then the EPS will go on. I think it also said something about a low 12v battery voltage will cause the light to go on also.
I shut the car off after the 5 minutes of idle and restarted. The EPS was still on. But, I then backed out of my driveway to make a little test drive and the EPS light went out before I made it to the street.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts