Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed much worse gas mileage when driving in rain? I can't quite put my finger on it. I doubt it has to do with aerodynamics or rolling resistance being affected by the water, but I have trouble believing that the electricity used by the wiper blades, defroster and headlights (and thereby taken out of the IMA battery) could cause such a big difference. I'm talking like 3-5 mpg here!

Could it be the wind? What gives!?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sweet, I will have a 22mph tailwind going home today, maybe that will make up for this morning's 40 mpg commute!

·
Registered
34 Posts
certainly

I dropped to closer to 35 mpg during a couple hour jaunt on the interstate in the rain. Of course, in my first 4800 miles, I've had only two or three tanks of 40 or 41 mpg so far and my best one was 43.

My car doesn't seem to like SW PA and WV hills. Or rain. Or snow. Or the occasional ladder on the roof. Or 70 mph or so. ...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Has anyone else noticed much worse gas mileage when driving in rain?
I do. I think it has to do with the wet pavement and use of the defroster.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
All of the above. The water from the sky makes the car use more effort to move forward as well as the wet road makes more resistance to rolling and aero. Lets not forget the power necessary for defroster, wipers, fog and lights too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Even at 60 mph you are "pumping" several thousand gallons an hour of water with your tires, that takes quite a few HP to accomplish.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Even at 60 mph you are "pumping" several thousand gallons an hour of water with your tires, that takes quite a few HP to accomplish.
You bet! Water on the roads is a real big factor in reducing my mpg.

It rains here alot and during "sun breaks" when the roads dry out I can really see a big reduction in roll resistence, and an imporvement of as much as 5 mpg (on the MID).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts