Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly the low beams died so am using the high beams to drive at night. Pulled the various fuses, relays and all looked ok. Did not perform a continuity check. Any quick fixes or do I start on the traditional way with meter & probe. I do have the shop manual and electrical troubleshooting.

Also my IMA light is on and the battery is discharged but has been gradually dying. I have not had assist or charge since shortly after the light came on. Yes, I know, I need to get the trouble code, just have not done that yet.
I do get around 64mpg when the weather is warm so far.

·
Registered
922 Posts
There is a free dealer recall for this problem. It involves upgrading a wiring harness connector for the headlight switch.

The IMA light is also a free dealer extended (10 year/100k miles)warrenty issue.

·
Registered
344 Posts
IMA problems are covered under the NEW Honda warranty extension of 10 years or 150,000 miles. There have been several cars covered over 150,000. The most that I have read about was about 189,000. I just had my IMA battery and two modules replaced at 137,000. Free parts and labor.All they need is a IMA light with code. If you have the light , you probably have the needed code.

See this thread! http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4796

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car has 164k miles so I am SOL on the battery. I just stopped at AdvanceAuto to get the numbers - 0134, 0420, 1162, 1447, 1449. I will check with Penske Honda about the recall on the wiring. What happened?

Will running for a bit with 0134 hurt the engine? My mileage is still decent though I have no boost. I can live quite well with it running like it is though I do need to get stuff fixed. The headlights are a pain as I get flashed but at least I have that backup.

How hard of a ride is it? I have 38 & 32 psi but it still seems a bit hard. Maybe the idiot before me also shot the shocks.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the service bulletin and it was already done, or at least that is what Honda said. I guess I have to get out the probe and start on that unless someone else has another idea. Honda thought the lights had burned out. Granted I have not checked them (and will) but I have never seen nor heard of both lights failing at the same time. I don't have a garage and it is about 20 so I am not in a really big hurry to go out there and get frostbite.

·
Registered
113 Posts
same thing happened to me a while ago. and it happened after the recall for the switch. turns out the low beams just died. i just had them replaced and all was well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The car has 164k miles so I am SOL on the battery
Take it to a dealer and have it checked. That close to 150,000, I believe they would be generous! Tis the "GIVING" season!

·
Registered
338 Posts
HEY!

JUST TAKE IT IN!

you guys are still talking about this??? :roll:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an appointment tomorrow for a complete diagnostic. I talked to them about replacing the IMA and said I would also let them do some other repairs so they would still make some money. Will possibly find out tomorrow but expect they will need to go to Honda for approval.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the saga continues. Took the beast into Penske Honda for a 19pt inspection & diagnostic. I had told them about the battery and its history. So they come back with, Yep the cat is dead along with the first sensor for a total of that repair at $1987. I asked the mechanic if both sensors should be replaced together but he said he never did that. The battery is also dead and the Honda rep was there so he/she could be asked about a warranty on the slightly extended mileage. The answer was if I would pay half and they would only charge me the half at cost. Well, just got the answer to my question of How Much- $2758 for the battery. What do you people think of that? I thought the battery was about $3500 and not over $5000. It seems a bit high and I only paid $4000 for the car. And I still have the original question problem of no low beams unfixed. I will get on that in the next few days. In running the car without the IMA, I get no assist so my mileage is down (to 54mpg). Do I damage the car driving this way?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There's a concurrent thread that answers some of your questions here:

Problems and Troubleshooting
IMA/BCM are toast!
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=5807

CAT dead subsequent of a primary O2 sensor failure is a real possibility. The secondary O2 sensor can NOT cause the same.

The IMA battery price is right in the ball park from what's been reported in here. The price increases with any needed additional controllers (MCM & BCM).

HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my $4000 Insight is now a $9000 Insight. Penske Honda in Indy did the work in about half a day. The total was just under $4700 which included a new cat, upper sensor, IMA battery and at least one control module. I had asked them to determine the cause of the low beam failure. It was a melted switch which was supposedly replaced 2 years ago. Since Honda showed it was replaced, they did not want to do it again. I bitched a little and said it was a safety issue. The rep talked to Honda then to the Penske head and it was fixed free. So now I have low beams, battery assist and no warning lights on. Still need to do a tuneup and change the oil but that should actually be fun. What are the parameters for the engine shutoff? Does the outside temp need to be above a certain point. I know ECON has to be on. Sometimes the engine will stop. Sometimes I will come to a stop and the engine will continue. I depress the clutch and release and the engine then stops. Any thoughts? Also when the fuel light comes on, how much is left? I am getting about 60mpg but I know that will drop with colder weather. It is still a fun car to drive. Wondering how it will do in snow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts