Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story: Dealing with an ailing battery 12v disconnect about three times in the past two months. Recently the SRS (airbag) light came on. I suspect the seat belt might be throwing the light, as I am dealing with the wet seat belt problem.

Today:
I was trying to jumper the OBDII port to get flash codes. I was doing this per Insight - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist. I got a slight spark when completing the jump. When I started up I got no flash codes. I then shut down and unplugged the jumper and put my scangauge back in. No Power.
Turned the car on ... no power to scanguage. I started the car, no power to the scanguage and the SOC was at 0 and read charge status. (The battery was previously almost full.) The car idles and charges and in about three or four minutes the charge reads as full again.
I did some digging here and found the Meter fuse could be the problem. Visual inspection of the fuse it looked fine but I replaced it anyway. Still no power to the OBDII and 0 SOC. I can however shut the car off for short periods and the SOC will remain but after, I'm guessing, 5 minutes the SOC will read 0 again.

Possible messup:
My jumper was made of loose fitting (to the OBDII port) breadboard jumper cables and a breadboard. I suppose its possible I effectively jumped the wrong wires by making a connection across different wires inside the OBDII connector. I did put them in the right holes but I'm not sure what the inside of the connector is like so if there aren't channels for individual contacts I could have crossed over to another contact.

Questions:
Are there other fuses I should check?
Have I fried my OBDII?
Why was it so hard (12v disconnect) to reset my IMA light and now its acting as if I reset it just by turning the car off for a few minutes?

Any help is appreciated.
I'm off to check my IMA fuses before it gets dark.

-Kirk
05 CVT Insight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update all IMR fuses are fine.

All IMR fuses are fine.
I'm feeling a bit like an idiot for not checking the SRS fuse before doing jumper things. In other news any one have any good tricks for removing a fuse that is just tearing up the stock fuse puller?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,118 Posts
Needlenose pliars?
Did it really melt?

·
Administrator
12,531 Posts
If you still have no OBDII power you def have a blown fuse more likely behind the cubby hole or perhaps under the bonnet.

It's also easy to put fuses back in the wrong place so double check that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Willie Williford,
Needle nose pliers, at least the pair I have don't fit. They are too fat and the SRS fuse is on one side of the box so I can't pull the surrounding fuses to make room. Did it melt? I don't know I haven't gotten it out to see yet. I'm hoping it didn't weld the fuse in when/if it blew.

retepsnikrep,
I guess I will try pulling all fuses (that I can get out) tomorrow and test them all as well. Come to think of it pulling several might let me get a hook tool on that pesky one I can't get out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuse 18 is right!

Thanks tryingbe!
Fuse 18 was right on the money. OBDII is back. I think I'm back to where I started the weekend. Plus now I have flash codes... oh so many codes.

Willie Williford,:
Not melted. Finally got the coroded buggers out with the same needle nose pliers in a bit caty wampus when the forward fuses were removed the two top rear were really in there. Unfortunately it wasn't as simple as a blown fuse but fortunately it was not welded in either.

All readers:
The flash code I was aiming for is SRS 73 "internal failure of SRS unit"
I think I'll go and try and reset it via the following instructions:
http://bugone.co.uk/Insight/SRS Reset.pdf
Although I have pulled the 12v power several times with the light on and it has not gone out. I guess I will find out if it has stable memory if it goes out and stays out.

Meanwhile flash codes for SRS, ABS and CEL showed but no codes are set for the scan gauge to find nor are there lights illuminating other than on start up. Some of those flash codes have associated p codes. So, whats with that?

Thanks for y'all's help so far and wish me further luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wraping up the thread.

SRS reset flashed like it was supposed to two times but the light will not stay off. I guess that means I really do have the "internal failure"

Thanks for 'all's help..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts