Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my 2000 with 117,000 miles in for IMA recall.
Dealer had to order parts, so on the way home in stop and go traffic, I hear this loud HMMMMMMM coming from the engine area. Happened when I would let off gas coming to stop, then after after I took off again and got the assist kicked in it would stop. This is a loud noise when charge cycle is on......can hear it well with windows up. I have owned this car since it had 20k on it and never had any sound like this or issues.....

Anyone have any experience with this before? Wondering what the dealer did for the day when it was there?

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
That defiantly sounds wrong!

I believe the IMA charge uses a three phase system. If one of the phases was shorted or open it might have this effect. Do you hear a slightly different noise than usual when using the assist?

In any case I'd get back to them ASAP.

·
Registered
295 Posts
JPBGATOR said:
Just took my 2000 with 117,000 miles in for IMA recall.
Dealer had to order parts, so on the way home in stop and go traffic, I hear this loud HMMMMMMM coming from the engine area.
Was your Airco-system on or off ??
That makes the same HMMMMMMMM sound, ik think it happens also with the aircon in eco-on mode.
Just try it ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
on a hot day in stop and go traffic in nyc I experienced a loud noice during a forced charge - but I assumed it was an engine fan. I think there's a fan on the insight, right? could it be something as mundane as that? of course, your noise coming so soon after the dealer is suspicious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the way back to the dealer (70 miles) no more sounds. My air con was off.....either tough or stupid living in Fl.
Told dealer about problem, they have never heard that one before.
They replaced my 2 modules under recall and ordered me a new battery pack under the extended warranty.

On the way home, no more loud noises. Who knows???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts