Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have scraping noise coming from the rear wheels when I brake, sometimes it goes away completely, but I'd say it's there 90% of the time. Sounds like the rear shoes are worn out, but they are not. They look to have 80% left on them. No build up or crap in the drums, nice and smooth. I can't understand what is causing the scraping noise. Super annoying. I'd like to figure it out so I can eliminate it.

Car has about 55k miles on it. Are there other parts that could be making this noise that can be replaced?

·
Super Moderator
7,149 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that the shoe might have shifted left/right enought to touch the shoe side on the drum. Take it apart and look for odd signs of polishing on shoe edge or strange places on drum.:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the noise is on both sides... grinding when the brakes are engaged. Press on the brake pedal, get a grinding noise. It's loud. But goes away when you take your foot off the pedal. Brakes are disengaging just fine.

Are the backing plates an issue? Maybe rust build up, and shoes pressing into the backing plate when brakes engaged? They work fine, they're just grinding and loud.

·
Premium Member
9,849 Posts
Find yourself a big vacant parking lot. Put the car in reverse, speed to at least 15 MPH, slam on the brakes and hold till you stop. Drive forward and test for stopping and noise.
HTH
willie

·
Registered
24 Posts
Drum brakes tyically have a self adjustment mechanism that takes up the slack from wear, but the adjustment only happens when the brakes are applied while going backward, and may not occur if it isn't fast enough. It doesn't mean you need to go 30 mph, but not at a crawl.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also, I believe the adjusters can only make up for a certain amount of slack with each backwards brake application, so if a lot of slack in needed to be taken up, then several applications might be needed. It doesn't sound to me like this is the nature of your problem though.

·
Super Moderator
7,149 Posts
When did the noise start and did you change the drums or shoes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When did the noise start and did you change the drums or shoes?
hey, looks like I missed this.

The noise started months ago. I've had 2 different shops look at the rear brakes, they both said they're fine. One even said they look to have 90%-95% left on the shoes. I have new shoes, asked the shop to replace them, but they wouldn't . Said it's not the issue. I wish they'd drive the damm car and see how loud the noise is. Something is definitely grinding back there when I use the brakes!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same kind of issue on my 2001 MT. I got concerned because they were getting noisy all of a sudden. Just took the drums off this hour and saw the brake shoes looked ok. The drum might be worn since they have worn into the drum about maybe 1/32. It has one new wheel cylinder from 12/18. The brake line ruptured and one cylinder was so corroded they needed to replace it in order to connect the new lines.

Here's hoping it's a self-adjustment issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I measured the pads and they are 3mm which is fine. The wear in the drum is minimal. I can barely feel the difference between worn and not worn metal. I wonder why the pads being out of adjustment would cause them to become noisy? It's worth a try anyway using Willie W's parking lot adjustment method. Otherwise I'm going to suspect my much newer front disc brakes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I think my right rear brake system might have some issues. Upon comparing right and left I am thinking right side is suspect. What do others think?

Is this drum brake shoe bad. It looks pitted to me but don't have much experience.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iWIJgjzL5Tm3vgPxNN466yEmJIq9w9SE/view?usp=sharing

The right side drum seems to have some grooves worn and also dark markings that are perpendicular to the shoe wear.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GDq0d5HkQRTe-rzjmYuM8od3_viy_Kew/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks like brand new parts. Let them wear them in a bit and see if the noise goes away.

The perpendicular lines might just be from being left with the parking brake on for a long time, or with some water in the drum. Again, should polish out with a bit of use.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks like brand new parts. Let them wear them in a bit and see if the noise goes away.

The perpendicular lines might just be from being left with the parking brake on for a long time, or with some water in the drum. Again, should polish out with a bit of use.
That is good to hear. Thanks. I noticed some contact between the drums and rust that had built up on the backing plate. I chipped the worst parts off which stopped some of the grinding noise when I turned it by hand. I also cleaned out a bit of sand and fair amount of powder with a rag. I've read to never use compressed air due to the hazards of breathing the dust. I also tried adjusting the DB by backing up rapidly and applying the brakes. Not sure if that helped but I think overall they are quieter.

My front disc brakes are 2 years new and the right side looks good. The left side wheel was torqued down so hard during the brake job that I haven't gotten it off. Is it ok to use a torch on tire nuts?

·
Premium Member
9,849 Posts
Spray the lug with some good looseing oil. 80 ft pounds of torque on the lug nuts. Get a breaker bar and use an extension if needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts