Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night when I turned my car on after it has been sitting in the parking spot for about 5 hours it started to make a loud clicking/squeaking noise from the engine. It became silent after the RPM's went under 1, which I normally let my car run so the engine warms up. I thought that it might be the timing belt, but found out that the Honda Insight 2010 have chains, which I believe won't need to be changed (correct me if I am wrong, please!). If I could upload the video I took of the sound it made I would attach it to this, but my car has 143k miles on it, it is a Honda Insight 2010. I've taken great care of it for the past five years under my ownership before me; it was used as a rental car. Anyone having the same issue or concern?

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Possibly your Accessory belt. If you recently bought the vehicle, maybe the seller changed the belt.
Timing chain is good for life.

When it is making the noise, if you turn on the ac does it get worse?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
So it's a 2010, how many miles on it? How many miles on it when you got it?
I agree it sounds like a slipping accessory belt. There does not seem to be a set change interval for it, just "inspect". However, on other Hondas at least, one would change that belt(s) when doing the 105k service. (timing belt for the engines that have one)
By the way, a broken or slipped timing belt on a Honda would not just make noise, it would be major engine failure.

Willie brings up a point, if you just bought this and the previous owner did change the belt, it may not have been the correct one or a quality one. Considering how long they last, oem or equivalent should be used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it's a 2010, how many miles on it? How many miles on it when you got it?
I agree it sounds like a slipping accessory belt. There does not seem to be a set change interval for it, just "inspect". However, on other Hondas at least, one would change that belt(s) when doing the 105k service. (timing belt for the engines that have one)
By the way, a broken or slipped timing belt on a Honda would not just make noise, it would be major engine failure.

Willie brings up a point, if you just bought this and the previous owner did change the belt, it may not have been the correct one or a quality one. Considering how long they last, oem or equivalent should be used.

~~~~~~~~~

So, my 2010 Insight is nearing 150k miles on it. I believe it's closer to 144k right now. I purchased the car with about 35/40k miles on it. I'm not entirely too sure. I bought this vehicle in August 2013.

Do all Honda Insight have a timing BELT or CHAIN? From my understanding, one needs to be replaced while the latter is lifetime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly your Accessory belt. If you recently bought the vehicle, maybe the seller changed the belt.
Timing chain is good for life.

When it is making the noise, if you turn on the ac does it get worse?[/Q~

~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't checked with the use of the A/C. However, I turned my car on this morning and it wasn't as loud as last night. I recall now that when the temperature is cold the sound is very loud which is why I warm up the car and let it drop under 1000 RPM's and then it becomes near silent.
In fact, this morning when the temperature outside was much more noticeably warmer than last night there was hardly that loud noise, but the same noise was there nevertheless.

If outside temperatures have anything to do with it, then maybe it's not my timing chain? Would an accessory belt have an effect on the temp?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The engine has a timing chain. However, there is a belt that drives accessories, like the A/C (I can't remember if the insight has electric power steering) In any case you are past due to have that belt changed. That belt is external to the engine.

Have you had the spark plugs replaced? Do you see the maintenance minder codes that get set? The letters and numbers represent services required. There is a list of what they are in the owner's manual. If you did not get a manual, you can download one from the Honda owner's site:

https://owners.honda.com/

You should also be getting the CVT (transmission) fluid changed regularly. Honda fluid only!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am having same issue with my 2010 insight and same mileage on it and also just started. Mechanic looked at it today and found the pulley for the AC to be defective and needs to be replaced. Not sure though what they call it, water pump or AC pump? It is the one at the bottom and there is a rubber hose attached to it.

But the noise can also be caused by the belt itself or the tensioner pulley.

Try to turn the AC on when the car is on and see if the noise will be affected and if it does, it might be the same as my situation.

If you do not care for AC, one cheap option is to get a shorter driver belt and skip the AC pulley all together. The AC wont work anymore though and not sure if Honda makes such shorter belts or if it would have to be aftermarket?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts