Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to a new house. My commute distance stayed the same (~70 miles round trip) but instead of 75% freeway it is now over 50% canyon roads. I am amazed at how well the Insight shoots through the curves! Whether it is downhill in the morning or uphill in the afternoon (with the IMA "turbo" kicking in) it is just a joy to experience. My mileage has dropped about 4-5mpg as I knew it probably would.

This new route may force me to do something I have never done, buy new tires before I need them! I have 46,000+ miles on the OEM RE92's so the grip really leaves something to be desired. I can only imagine what it would be like with a set of 175 or 185's. Off to review the Tires threads . . . 8)

·
Registered
334 Posts
You will love wider tires going around the corners. You'll loose more gas milage but the fun factor is worth it.

If you want to improve road holding but not switch to wider tires then the camber adjust bolt will be a good choice...

Soon you'll be wanting to auto-x your Insight too! :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A puncture in one of my OEM RE92's forced my hand and sent me off in search of new tires. I went to Costco and got a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE910's (P175/65R14) and the improvement in handling has been incredible. Pumped up to a little over 40psi, these tires are a good match for my current commute situation. I've dropped to about a 51mpg average (from 55), which I think is still pretty good considering the grade and curves. If I ever went back to a straight, freeway commute, I'd switch back to RE92's. I don't think there is anything that can top them for maximum mpg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts