This is a late reply, but yes, this happened to me.
I went four years without problems. Unbeknownst to me, the dealership did the recall, I'm not sure which one, in June of '04. In July of '05, my lights went out.
Honda is redoing the recall for me when the parts come in.
I'm glad to hear I am not the only one. Sometimes things are better left untouched? Watch, now we will have this problem every year or so?
The low beams harness connector and switch assy were recently done on mine too. Seems the low beams connector in that area, if slightly loose, will cause a hot spot until it fails. Or perhaps the connector termilals themselves can't carry that electrical load without overheating. Permanent fix would be to just make a permenent connection there by bypassing the plastic connector and solder the wires diretly together outside the connector. No more loose, no more blackouts :shock:
Wayne: regarding your soldering idea...
When I bring it in for the "refix" I will ask them to consider soldering the wires rather than going through the plastic connector.
Please note that on the recall there were two possibilities for a fix. One fix was if the lights went out and the other if the lights have not gone out. I'm not sure which one they did.
Anyone care to comment on the two fixes? Would you solder rather than the second fix option?
I'll bet the soldering idea isn't kosher with the Honda dealer, doesn't require enough parts and labor, or 'we just can't do that kind of stuff'. If mine ever did fail like that, knowing what the dealer repair proceedure is, I'll indeed just solder my own fix. If the burnt up connector wasn't obvious to the eye, then one could put out the word on the forum for assistance and myself or one of the many who have the electrical book for the Insight will gladly I.D. the connector and terminal required to make the permanent fix. 8)
The dealer recall on mine required the tech to replace the female harness connector along with the 'multi-function' switch for the lights/turn signals, and the kit had this little cheepo plastic tool to probe / disconnect the wire terminals out of the plastic connector. The re-ocurrance of this problem could very well be the manual labor involved with this proceedure. If the tech had a difficulty with the 'tool' provided, and started 'helping' the terminals in / out the result might well be the looseness problem was just transferred to the new connector blocks. Similar issues happend on Saturns I used to work on, but when I did them I made sure the loose problem was Gone, as 'comebacks are free' in the flat rate pay world of car techs.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.