Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
How do you know it is not the bulbs? I tend to have a low beam burn out every six months or so, and the high beams will still work. You probably had them both low beams burn out at the same time. You'll have to get two new bulbs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
micheledhowe said:
I have gotten new bulbs and tried them, and when i check the voltage at the low beam connector there is no juice.
What year is your Insight? There was a recall on the headlights for some of the 2000 model year cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My insight is a 2000, and my low beams went out Friday while driving down to SC (from OH). I had to drive for 4 hours last night with my high beams on and everyone flashing their lights at me. I tried new bulbs today also and no luck. Anyone have a wat to fix this or have the same problem? I can't believe I logged on and saw micheledhowe had the exact same problem.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
There is a switch _Recall_. Work done free if not already and your car falls into the valid range. IIRC 00-01 models only.

Call your local dealership. Have your VIN handy and the service advisor should be able to tell you if yours applies.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Resist said:
JeffKinTN said:
There was a recall on the headlights for some of the 2000 model year cars.
Actually is wasn't a recall on the headlights, it was for the headlight switch.
Which causes the low beams to become inoperative... :roll:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Exactly....but the cause wasn't the headlights, nor was the recall for the headlights. The headlight failure was the result of the switch.

·
Registered
109 Posts
wackypaul said:
cool so this is a free fix! That's awesome... Thanks so much for the info.
Yer quite welcome... :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
How many times is this a free fix? My low beams just went out and honda's website shows the recall has already been completed on my insight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I contacted a dealer and they told me that the recall had been done on my car once. This was before I owned the car. They did put in a new switch kit and I was charged nothing. I'm glad I had this website so I could go in and say this is a recall issue... Bottom line the job might need to be done twice.

·
Registered
338 Posts
guys

it is a recall affecting 440 thousand honda's

take it in to honda....they will know about it....

if not there are websites to look up recalls

I did for mine and it cost nothing

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re:

wackypaul said:
I contacted a dealer and they told me that the recall had been done on my car once. This was before I owned the car. They did put in a new switch kit and I was charged nothing. I'm glad I had this website so I could go in and say this is a recall issue... Bottom line the job might need to be done twice.
Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but this is my current issue. Appletree Honda near Asheville, NC won't fix it because it's been done once.... 30k miles ago. It was apparently done without my knowledge, before the switch even went bad during a service visit. Anyway, if it's a recall issue, clearly there is a problem, especially if it is burned out again.

Do I call Honda North America? Any advice on who to talk to and how to get it done?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
First of all I am not connected with this Appletree though I have stopped there. Supposedly mine was done before I bought it but the switch had still melted. Penske Honda in Indy was not going to fix it but I complained that this was a serious safety issue and the fault was not owner/operator but mechanical. I told them if they did not want to fix it, give me the part and I would. They ultimately fixed it and said they had never heard of it failing twice if properly done. Of course that is the key. Keep trying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I had the same problem. I have a 2000 green Insight.

I brought it in 2 years ago or so for a recall on the switch for the headlights. With this recall the dealership has 2 options: Replace both the switch and wiring, or just the switch. Apparently the Manassas, VA dealership (Terrible dealership by the way :x ) just did the bare minimum, and my low beams stopped working just a few weeks back.

I took it to the new dealership here in CT and they happily fixed it for free! A much better dealership ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had a small fire(!) in the light switch (burning smell and smoke coming from the steering column - went away when I switched off the lights)

could this be caused by the same faulty switch? not sure if the recall applied to my (01) insight or whether it has been done.

Dealer wants to charge me a fortune to get it fixed...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Is there something specifically that says it should be fixed for free under recall if it's been done before?

My low beams failed. I called the local Honda dealer, and they said there was no "open" recall on my my car. They couldn't even find one for the headlight switch.

I have all the recall pdf's for this on my computer, and my car falls under the vin's associated with it. I have a feeling i may have to fight them on it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts