Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago or so I went to my dealer (Poway Honda in California) to get some service and to have the low-beam recall done. They said they performed the recall, and all was well - or so I thought.
Then on Saturday night I'm about to pull out of my garage when I notice only my fog lights shining on the wall. I play with the switch a few times and no go, only fog lights. Check the fuses, look in the manual, then I remembered the recall. Pulled the handle and bingo, the high-beams worked just fine. There's a loud click everytime i try to turn on the headlights.
So I'm thinking either:
a) My low beams died, somehow
or
b) The dealer didn't perform the recall.
What do you guys think?
I'm not very auto-savvy, but if I have the tools and someone has some tips, I can try to check things out. But I'd like to know the possibility of the low beams dying before I get on the phone and start to raise hell at the dealer.
I'm just glad this happened while the car was stationary.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes a surprise!

Quite a surpirse it is, low beams quitting unexpectely (or otherwise! ) :shock:
The recall involved changing the connector at the multi-switch for the lights. It's the low beam feed wire to the relay under the hood at the connector getting too hot from either the load or the loose connection at that point. I stood and watched the tech do mine, so if it happens again to me, I'm going to bypass the connector and directly solder the low beam wires together. I can get you the exact wire color and connector point number when I get back home.
I haven't heard of any other cause of failure for the low beams, but might be worth checking the relay by swapping the hi beam relay with the low beam one and try it. If it still doesn't work and the fuse is known to be OK then it's wireing time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Wayne, I'll keep that in mind in case it happens again.

So just to follow up, I called American Honda and told them what was going on, they told me to go to the dealership and diagnose why the low beams had died. If it was the switch like it says in the recall, then they'll fix it and I'll be on my way, if not, I fix it myself.

Turns out the low beams themselves just died. the bulbs. they guestimate that one of them died and caused a spike (which didnt break any fuses) and took out the other one at the same time.
Oh well. So they just fixed the bulbs for me since it cost less for them to do that than the "diagnostic" would have cost me in the first place.
So all is well.

But I highly recommend calling American Honda if anyone gets in a wierd situation. they were SUPER helpful and overly nice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts