Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea at what point the low fuel light comes on? I usually take mine all the way down till it comes on and then fill up, but I'm afraid to go too long... I looked in the manual and it doesn't make any references. My old Ford Ranger comes on at 2 gallons/50 miles left.

Anyone know?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
On my first tank of gas, the low level light came on with one bar still showing on the gauge. I immediately fueled the car and it took 9.6 gallons.
I stopped when the pump first clicked off, no topping off.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
From the point my low fuel light comes on I get a minimum of 50 miles. I confirmed this once when I ran out of gas with my CVT. That night I got 60 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
low fuel light

Mine usually comes on when there are two bars left. I filled up the last time as soon as it can on and it took 8.4 Gallons. I haven't tested how far I can go but if it has a 10.5 gal tank I still had about 2 gallons left and that is about another 100 miles... BUT like I said I haven't and probably won't test it.

Jerry :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___When the Low Fuel Light comes on in my Insight, I have between 85 and 105 miles left depending on temps and the FE I will receive over the rest of the tank. About a gallon give or take a few tenths.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:38jtrrx7][email protected][/email:38jtrrx7]

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've driven...

...about 20 miles with the light on in my CVT. That time the tank took 9.87 gallons. In retrospect this was right before the car drove sluggish on my commute for a few days (and I posted about it), so I bet I was close.

Tire pressure is 40 psi on all four corners.

Oh! Threadjack--filled up yesterday and guess what--all four valves were exposed! May be the only time that happens.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Empirical research

Summertime last year, temps in the 90s at 8-8:30pm (hey, it's Texas)... sun about to set... average MPG ~54 @ highway crusing, 65-70mph, when the low fuel light pops on. Had just passed an exit, so I drove on for 65 excruciating miles before a fill-up (I did the prudent thing and dropped to ~60mph cruise, to extend range). Longest ~hour of my life. Found a station, managed to stop the bleeding on most of my bitten fingernails and wiped the driver's seat dry :lol: , filled up with 11.2 gallons (!) before it clicked off on its own. I don't continue to fill up once the pump stops automatically... but I might have been able to pump a cupful or two more, who knows... not worth messing up the overflow gadget. My Beloved rightfully called me an Idiot, won't push my luck like that again... :roll:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess to sort of answer my own question...

Yesterday I was driving, 2 bars on the fuel gauge, no low fuel light. Got out of the car for 1.5 hours, and when I got back in, there were NO bars on the fuel gauge and the low fuel light was on. Started driving to the gas station, as the engine warmed up, 1 bar came up on the fuel gauge. When I filled up, it took 9.6 gallons.

That was scary seeing NO bars when there had been 2! :shock:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Obviously, it's never come on for me as did not even know the light existed!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think mine comes on when it drops from 2 to 1 bar of fuel. I'm pretty sure I've watched it come on there. Then, if I keep driving, it will drop to 0 bars of fuel, which is a bit scary. I think I can get about a gallon's worth of driving done after the low fuel light goes on.

I thought I remembered that the manual says what's up with the low fuel light. I'm headed to the bank; maybe I can read while waiting in line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts