Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's now 2006 and I was wondering if the problems with hurricanes last fall in the gulf has had an effect on producing the 30ppm sulfur content fuels as were originally supposed to go into effect this year here in the US. Does anyone know if there has been a reprieve on any of this or is all the fuel now low sulfur in the US?

Thanks,
robert

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
BP had a program in some cities to sell low sulphur fuel, but they just pulled out of Colorado. I have not been able to figure out whether all fuel now meets the tighter regulations. The BP propaganda claimed that they had to clean out their tanks and equipment as part of the program...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
About the only way to tell is to email all the gasoline suppliers in your area and ask the sulfur content of the fuel in your county. I found out Shell sells 30ppm here while all others were around 200ppm.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Rick,
I inquired most of the companies around here, and I got spotty response. BP and Shell are below 100 ppm, Citgo was around 200 and surprisingly Sunoco was 476 if I remember correctly(it was well over 400).
I was just hoping that everyone was below 30 now because of the new standards. Shell is hard to come by here, but the BP stations are everywhere.
Not sure about Texaco.
That's here in Western South Carolina. In Charlotte, NC about 25 miles from where I work (75 from home), they are in a market that has 30ppm (BP and some others), but I don't go there unless I absolutely have to.
Thanks,
robert

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___The following link may help some figure out what the average level of sulfur is in their areas although the survey is measuring most of an RFG fuels properties … That is if you live in or around a non-attainment area of the country and the fuels have been tested year after year.

RFG Proprieties Data

___Here in the Milwaukee - Chicago - Gary corridor, we still have some of the worst fuel in the country but it is slowly getting better in terms of S at least … If you purchase Amoco Ultimate (Premium), you do receive < 30 ppm sulfur but that is the only station and type of fuel guaranteed to be < 30 ppm in the Chicago area that I know of … And in case anyone doesn’t know, low S increases CAT efficiency by a CARB level in the Insight. LEV to ULEV if that helps. CAT longevity is increased as well due to the lack of S poisoning.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts