Honda Insight Forum banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Administrator
11,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I've been testing a new idea today and had to go shopping for essential supplies.
So I took advantage for a brief road test to the shop and back.

Basically the idea is implement a completely fixed voltage system.
I did this when I was using supercaps and it worked very well.

There are a few caveats.

The fixed fake voltage has to be >150V or the car won't IMA start.
Probably something around 155V will give good reliability and performance.
It bypasses start up and shut down checks the system does regarding stuck or faulty contactors.

It's easy to implement and does away with the HV connection from the actual battery to the BCM Fooler.
The BCM fooler gets it's HV from being reverse fed from the MCM HV connection.

We implement a 150V voltage source using 3 x 48 dc-dc converters inside the MCM and attached to the MCM HV connector from the inside.

We implement a simple relay controlled RC charge/discharge circuit for the VPIN detection with the switch on rise of voltage and hold it at 150V or whatever we set.

I'll post a video later of it on the bench.
Ran out of dc-dc converters as blew a couple yesterday due to spikes and back emf etc.
Solved with a flyback diode across them.

·
Super Moderator
7,773 Posts
Sounds like a viable option, but is it better in some way than the previous approach using the voltage doubler??

·
Administrator
11,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I'm still exploring all the various voltage fooling options during the lockdown.
But the inability to do decent/any test drives is really hampering progress on that.

Today's video is on the 2nd LTO pack tail/connections. A few little hints and changes from MK1.
I'm shortly going to install the temp sensors I removed from the old NIMH IMA pack.

Still lots of bench and software work to do.

·
Super Moderator
7,773 Posts
I'm still exploring all the various voltage fooling options during the lockdown.
But the inability to do decent/any test drives is really hampering progress on that.

Today's video is on the 2nd LTO pack tail/connections. A few little hints and changes from MK1.
I'm shortly going to install the temp sensors I removed from the old NIMH IMA pack.

Still lots of bench and software work to do.
I think driving is safe to you personally. All the U.S. lockdowns allow driving for food. Just "shop" at a more distant store. Ops, I forget - you are a retired policeman;)

On that tall space you show, I just cut them with a hacksaw and dress them with a file to be flat and smooth. You can check you work with a quick caliper look. I noticed that they are some sort of special compound, not like the run of the mill AL spacer, but don't know if it matters.

·
Administrator
11,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Yes I could have cut them down, but the Insight spacers were redundant and a perfect fit.
Seemed easier than trying to get a really flat surface after a manual cut with hand hacksaw.

101 - 105 of 105 Posts