1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the symptoms:

1. Both lowbeams do not work.
2. Both highbeams work.
3. I did a continuity test on the bulbs, and they seem fine (came up near 0 on my multitester)
4. Fuses both are fine and power makes it to them.
5. I checked the voltage at the bulb. There are three prongs:

When lowbeams are on, all three prongs have 12v.
When highbeams are on, the right prong has no voltage while the other two have 12v.

I am assuming that having all three prongs lit is the problem since electricty needs a ground to flow to. I am also assuming that there is some kind of relay that switches which wire has a ground and which it hot. This isn't really an obvious thing to me, I'm sure there are good reasons for doing it this way, I'm not an electrician.

So I looked for relays, I found two in the fuse box under the hood. One for R and one for L. I am assuming they are fine since both highbeams work. But just in case, I switched them around with like ones, no change.

I *think* there is a relay I felt clicking under the dash in the fuse box. It's gray and big and says, "MITSUBA FR-3318" on it. I don't know how to test it or if it is even the right relay to look at. Could this be the right relay? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any thoughts? I don't have a service manual for this car (yet). I've had the car since 2000 and it has been very good to me with very little problems. I have only needed to do the regular maintenance so far.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I *think* there is a relay I felt clicking under the dash in the fuse box. It's gray and big and says, "MITSUBA FR-3318" on it. I don't know how to test it or if it is even the right relay to look at. Could this be the right relay? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Ok this relay is for the turn signals apparently.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Here are the symptoms:

2. Both highbeams work.
3. I did a continuity test on the bulbs, and they seem fine (came up near 0 on my multitester)

When highbeams are on, the right prong has no voltage while the other two have 12v.

Our cars had a safety recall for loss of headlights. The connector(s) in the steering column were at fault, perhaps you might contact a Honda Dealer for the information. You have owned the Car since 2000 and it may be you were never contacted by Honda to have the Safety modification peformed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the symptoms:

2. Both highbeams work.

Our cars had a safety recall for loss of headlights. The connector(s) in the steering column were at fault, perhaps you might contact a Honda Dealer for the information. You have owned the Car since 2000 and it may be you were never contacted by Honda to have the Safety modification peformed.
You are correct! It turns out that I brought my car in 3-4 years ago for the same issue and they fixed it on recall. I called, and they told me that they only fix it once on recall. I don't really understand how they would not cover this since it only lasted a few years! (I totally forgot about this, by the way).

Any more advice? Is there anything I should say or do? Is there something I can do to make sure they repaired the initial recall properly (such as, they should have replaced a part with a different part number, etc)? Am I really just stuck having to pay for this?

I would try to fix it myself, but really I'm not wild about getting into the steering column.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Safety Recall

Three Points:

1) They say they fixed it, but did they really change the part(s) I bet they cannot prove it.

2) Have you spoken to Honda Customer Office about the problem, they may well overide the Dealer.

3) Have you considered reporting the problem to the Authorities? A safety recall which has proved to be unsuccessful and has failed after only a few years?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts