Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I too had problems with my 2000 Insight's interior door handles' chrome flaking off. I read about the $145 solution and was even considering painting mine silver when I thought that Honda would likely use the same door handles on other models than just the Insight. After a bit of searching, I found that the '94-'97 Accord Coupe handles fit the Insight perfectly. I bought a pair from A__azon for $27.54 shipped.

I threw away the Accord's tan plastic surround, it's curved a bit different than the Insight's, and just removed the chrome door pulls. The only difficult part was removing the pivot pin from the original Insight's assembly that was flared out on the end. Once I got the pin out, I just replaced the chrome door pulls and put the pin back in. Mine look awesome now and fit perfectly. I hope this helps someone...this forum has surely helped me a lot.
- Mike

·
6,916 Posts
Awesome info, thanks for your research.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Great info! The local junkyard has a few ;) '94-97 Accords. Amazon has them for $6.00 a piece from depo.

·
Registered
410 Posts
What causes that? Because it happened to me and I thought it was because I applied ArmorAll on the handles along with the rest of the interior of the car. I had to buy new ones and replace it myself. Does it happen to every Insight eventually?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
3,641 Posts
Junkyard Mods / Parts Interchange

I love junkyard mods! Like how the Mazda 626 door handles interchange with the Miata NB. Or how the Ford Crown Victoria coil springs provide Wrangler TJ a 2" lift.

So far in addition to the Accord chrome door handles, we also have for the Gen1:

- Daewoo Matiz/Chevy Aveo Springs
- [Accord O2 Sensor] Pending verification---The same Bosch part #13075 is listed for both.
- Chevy V6 EGR Valve
- CRV/Civic Si/S2000 Orange display CD Player
- Acura RSX/S2000 Leather Steering wheel
- U1, U1L, U1-7 Tractor Batteries
- Accord EGR Valve
- Corolla/VW 9" or 16" whip antennas (All over eBay $5 shipped in US for new ones.)

[I edited the Accord 02 Sensor entry for now, even though Bosch 13075 part number is listed for the same. Honda has different numbers. ???? If you care to do further research or trial, here is a link: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13075-Oxygen-Sensor-Fitment/dp/B000BZG5WG/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Honda%7C59&Model=Insight%7C927&Year=2001%7C2001&carId=001&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive[/ame]
]

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think the door handles themselves are plastic, and the chrome is plated onto them (or whatever chrome lookalike they use is). I'm guessing that the plating simply wasn't designed to be applied to plastic, and with use/temperatures/offgassing fails eventually. Just wear and tear, I wouldn't put the whole blame on the Armorall. (I might take a look at the people charging $145 though:Laughing:)

Freezin- Nice list, if you have links to those last 4 please shoot me a PM

·
Registered
99 Posts
I love junkyard mods! Like how the Mazda 626 door handles interchange with the Miata NB. Or how the Ford Crown Victoria coil springs provide Wrangler TJ a 2" lift.

So far we also have for the Gen1:

- Daewoo Matiz/Chevy Aveo Springs
- Accord O2 Sensor
- Chevy V6 EGR Valve
- CRV/Civic Si/S2000 Orange display CD Player
- Acura RSX/S2000 Leather Steering wheel
- U1, U1L, U1-7 Tractor Batteries
Can you direct me to more info on the Accord 02 sensor? I recently have been getting a CEL and the code is P0134. So that code is saying I need the 1st O2 sensor. Advance Auto wants me to order one for $260. I said, no, I need to test my sensor before dropping that kind of cash on one.

Thanks for posting what you did. Made me think a little more.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Ryan C:
I don't believe it was an Accord 02 sensor...It was an Accord EGR valve.

Willie

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Well, I can confirm that the door handle (not the surround) for the 94 Accord is exactly what we need; however, how in the world did you get those pins out? That flare is ridiculous.

Also, I have the handles for the 2-door (to answer the earlier inquiry).

·
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Door handle replacement photos

I've been meaning to post these for awhile. These photos cover the steps once the door handle assembly has been removed from the door.

This is from the perspective of someone without a lot of tools or experience. I did the swap in my apartment using a few simple tools, and-- crucially, as others have said-- a vice grip in order to wear down a flange/flare at the end of the pin the handle pivots on. I didn't bother trying to replace the flange as there seemed to be enough friction to keep the pin in place.

If there's a better place to post these pics, please let me know or feel free to move them.

Also to answer the previous post, from the parts charts I've seen, it doesn't matter if it's a 2- or 4-door Accord.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Awesome. I need to do this. Thank you for the how to!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
17 Participants
evilchargerfan
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing