Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car seems to be getting weaker. when in 5th gear and I accelerate, the mileage drops to about 36mpg. It used to only drop to about 49mpg. It doesn't seem to be burning any oil and the air filter doesn't seem to help. I put some STP octane booster/fuel injector clear in and the power seems a bit "upped" but the mileage drop off is the same. I've already had the cadalytic converter replaced and the "plugs" done without effect. I have also had the fuel induction service performed.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Dan Fiore

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi ya Dan,

I'm not sure where you live but around here (Washington state), winter gas starts showing up around Halloween. My first tank with winter gas dropped my average MPG from around 75 to about 70 and I've been having to downshift on a couple of hills that I could usually make it up before. I tried a tank of premium (I usually run regular) and my MPG is back up and I can make it up the hills again.

Jim

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well there are several different things that could cause this. You've already coverd the plugs so we'll assume they're ok. Another item that could cause this could be slow oxygen sensors, and this could be something you could only see with a OBD2 device, and it could be something that isn't quite at the verge at which it would trigger a CEL, but you notice it on an Insight where as on a regular car it would not show nearly as much.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean by "slow" sensors? Supposedly, they were replaced with the recall a long time ago. Also, the check enginge light never comes on. I think maybe the electric part has somehow weakened.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Duplicate post deleted.

I'm just saying it's a possibility. My parents own an automotive repair show that specializes in emission repairs. We see this quite often. If something gets just enough out of whack and the engine runs too rich or lean it can faul the O2 sensor(s). And even over time they do get slower to respond. Unfortunately there's a ton of parts that could be the culprit.

Point in case. We had a friends 2000 Suburban in our shop not too long ago. It needed all 8 fuel injectors replaced, and because of them starting to fail it had fauled all 3 O2 sensors. Well he said he was going to sell it so we just replaced the two worst off injectors and the O2 sensors, which would be ok for a few months. Well of course they kept it for a year and had the same problem again at 6 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts