Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else experience lower mpg with the air down in the 45 deg F range compared to the 60's (dry pavement but higher Rel Humidity) running down the free way at 60 mph? It seemed I was struggling to get in the mid to high 60's this morning in 45 deg F, where normally at this point of the commute I am usually a couple higher MPG. Still ended up at 70 mpg so I can't complain.

In one sense I can see lower MPG since the air is more dense from an aero dynamic perspective.

In another sense, I can see the air is denser and you'd think you'd get a little better mpg, albeit I suspect this car is closed loop fuel injection so maybe the air density doesn't matter.. and its intake air is warmed by the engine compartment anyways.. so maybe this is more a function of air resistance?

Anywho.. just curious on folks thoughts from a learning perspective with the car.

Stock MT.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Cool damp air drops my mpg too. I still have winter warm air mods installed (grill blocks, warm air inlet). I check tire pressure frequently too, with varying temps, tire pressure varies as well.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool damp air drops my mpg too. I still have winter warm air mods installed (grill blocks, warm air inlet). I check tire pressure frequently too, with varying temps, tire pressure varies as well.
I'll have to look into those mods for next year.

I am very happy with the car in general.. what's not to be happy about getting 70 -85 mpg on the free way and combined 61mpg on tanks of gas?
My lifetime right now is around 63.5 - 64 mpg...

Do those mods help that much to maintain mpg at those cooling more humid temps?

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
A lot of mixed opinion on warm air and grill mods. Overall, they do keep some heat in the engine. I also try not to use heat in the cabin (until the outside temps get real cold).

Lower grill block helps some, radiator block helps more but you need to know actual engine coolant temp (ect) to be safe with that one, the temp indicator on the dash is slow to respond and the car will be overheated by the time the dash indicator shows red.

Warm air mod also helps some.

With mild temps, 40's give or take, I get back about 5-6% of mpg lost.
Temps in the 20's-30, I get about 2-3% back.
Teens and below, no difference in mpg on my car. Engine does warm quicker though.

A lot of info in different threads. Here's a link with some pics of mine: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/mpg-issues/8782-1-6x17-cardboard-piece-10-mpg-yup-no-lie-28.html

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of mixed opinion on warm air and grill mods. Overall, they do keep some heat in the engine. I also try not to use heat in the cabin (until the outside temps get real cold).

Lower grill block helps some, radiator block helps more but you need to know actual engine coolant temp (ect) to be safe with that one, the temp indicator on the dash is slow to respond and the car will be overheated by the time the dash indicator shows red.

Warm air mod also helps some.

With mild temps, 40's give or take, I get back about 5-6% of mpg lost.
Temps in the 20's-30, I get about 2-3% back.
Teens and below, no difference in mpg on my car. Engine does warm quicker though.

A lot of info in different threads. Here's a link with some pics of mine: http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/mpg-issues/8782-1-6x17-cardboard-piece-10-mpg-yup-no-lie-28.html
Thanks bro! I do really appreciate your ingenuity especially the cables etc for the radiator blocking! That's some good work!

·
Super Moderator
6,900 Posts
The Gen1 loves heat-fuel economy wise.
-loves high warm intake air temp(IAT)
-loves high water temp
-loves high road surface temps

Re IAT, some methodical member a few years back conducted experiments to find the optimum IAT. I can't find the thread at the moment, but if memory serves, he found that 115 degrees was ideal. From my own warm air experiments I believe he was pretty much right.

Re H2O temp, my testing convinces me that the engine is more efficient, MPG wise, above 200F. But, as Mountain driver says, you must closely monitor the temp with a good gauge, such as the OBD II C&C, or a Scangauge. The dash gauge is far from accurate. The service manual says that the thermostat starts to open at 197F and is completely open a 212F. One could infer that this is an acceptable operating range. In northern climates, the coolant temp will hug the 197 mark. It seems to me that this means that the first little trickle of normal radiator flow cools the engine below optimum. Of course, grill blocks are needed to raise the coolant temperature. Incidentally, they also slightly improve aerodynamics.

Re road surface temp, warm tires have less rolling resistance that cold tires. Anyone can prove this by comparing the roll down distances between cold road and warm road over the same course.

So the car loves hot weather. It is an observation not original with me.:)

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
andrew: thanks for the compliment on my 'ugly' air mods. The folk with the ingenuity made automatic systems that self regulate. Many before me have posted several articles on their warm air mods and other ideas. Check out posts by Joecvt and AbCaRed00 just for starters. There are many more.

The OP for the thread link above is Insightful Trekker, some other posters in that thread have links to other good ideas. A little lenghty, but interesting browing in the whole thread.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now I am just driving it pretty well stock..
Until I get a good feel for the car MPG wise thru different conditions.. plus I am pretty busy.. I really am not much of a modification guy anymore.. time is more valuable on my weekends then a couple bucks of fuel savings...
But as I slow down and get some more free time, maybe I'll do it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mileage. Yours may vary. Pink is temperature, blue is MPG.

Damn dude.. I am continually impressed by the owners on this board..
Assuming all equivalent other than temperature, that is a great graph!!!
Thanks for sharing kind sir.

Andrew

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same 40 mile one way commute for almost two years now. You can also see that this winter was much colder than last year.
Cool so basically all things equal!!!

RIGHT ON BRO!! Thanks again for sharing and help educate me as I get to know the car! This stuff is priceless.

Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts