Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put on my new belly panel (thanks Klr3cyl!) and noticed my radiator has quite a bit of fin rot. I'm thinking about a nice cooling system overhaul: water pump, hoses, radiator, coolant change. For peace of mind, you know. But researching the parts, I have found that the lower radiator hose is NLA from anywhere. I have found a few websites and stores that say they can get it drop shipped, and auto parts stores that say they can get it special ordered, but I am guessing if I place an order they will call their supplier and find it's out of stock and send me my money back.

I searched the forums and didn't find any discussion, so I'm posting here. What have people been doing about this? Anybody fabricate their own hose? Or find a molded hose from another car that sorta works? Or do I just continue on with my old hose and hope it's ok? The car is a 2006 at about 160k.

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to ask these places to see if they are able to even get the aftermarket hoses, same with contacting Summit Racing and see if they are able to get you the Continental 66871 within a reasonable time.

Usually when I visit an auto parts store and bring in a weird hose, I get someone nice enough to lead me towards the back shelves and help me compare other hoses in stock to find something similar that I can just trim down. You'd be surprised at the many combinations of available hoses I've seen.

Worst case scenario, you might need two hoses and have to have a joiner in the middle. Personally, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me if I had to take that route.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have never seen a Honda with a blown hose. Ever.

I had to put a new radiator in my car because of poorly repaired accident damage before I owned it, but no hoses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fair enough. I am used to working on Saab and Volvo cars, which break if you look at them funny. Constant vigilance is what they require, so I habitually change everything!

I saw Summit said they could get the Conti hose. I will inquire. At the very least, my rad and a couple hose clamps are living on borrowed time, so they need to get done.

At the risk of going off topic on my own thread, I was also thinking about adding in an oil cooler/warmer circuit (05 and 06 cars didn't get this stock) by taking advantage of the automatic transmission cooler that is built into the aftermarket radiators, maybe plumbing it up to a sandwich type oil cooler add-on, which goes under the oil filter. Wonder if there is much to be gained (aside from unneeded complexity) with such a thing.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
1,562 Posts
Personally, I would skip adding a donut oil cooler. It is just one more potential coolant leak source. I have had two potentially catastrophic overheat situations. Both were traceable to failed hose clamps on oil cooler coolant lines.

·
Registered
2000 Silverstone G1- 200k miles
284 Posts
The radiator is also a pickle to find sometimes. I feel you on the hoses bursting if you look at them funny. Ford vans will do that with the heater hoses and it drives me up a wall.

I second taking it to a parts store to find a similar one. Preferably, go to one of the hub stores. Quick way to find them is a) they're bigger buildings but similar stores and b) often they have parts online for something like Volvo that most stores can get in "1-3 days".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I would skip adding a donut oil cooler. It is just one more potential coolant leak source. I have had two potentially catastrophic overheat situations. Both were traceable to failed hose clamps on oil cooler coolant lines.
Yeah, I've heard about some oil cooler failures on these cars with the stock oil cooler. But I'm not talking about adding an oil cooler like the stock one, where coolant lines run to the oil filter. I'm talking about running oil lines from a filter sandwich plate to the tranny cooler, which is in the new radiator I will be buying, since you can't find manual rads without the tranny cooler anymore. Mine's a manual car - why not put the otherwise-vacant tranny cooler to use? I suppose the opposite could occur: burst oil lines to the tranny cooler. Or I could have a problem with the added restriction causing lower oil pressure. Not sure how much it would change things though. It might potentially keep the oil too cool because the tranny cooler is in the bottom tank of the radiator, which should be the coolest spot in the system. Normally I'd say you can't overcool your oil, but on these cars I don't know!
The radiator is also a pickle to find sometimes. I feel you on the hoses bursting if you look at them funny. Ford vans will do that with the heater hoses and it drives me up a wall.
The aftermarket radiator on Rockauto looks ok, and at least it's cheap!

My old SAAB 9000 turbo CSE blew a radiator end tank just sitting idling in a driveway once. Just humming, idling along, and then i hear this "pop" followed by a "slosh". Luckily my apartment had a garage. I pulled it in, shut it off, put a cat litter pan under it, and went and ordered a radiator.

I know the guy who co-owns a big Napa - I will start with giving him a call about the hose.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
12,111 Posts
Try here:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, I've heard about some oil cooler failures on these cars with the stock oil cooler. But I'm not talking about adding an oil cooler like the stock one, where coolant lines run to the oil filter. I'm talking about running oil lines from a filter sandwich plate to the tranny cooler, which is in the new radiator I will be buying, since you can't find manual rads without the tranny cooler anymore. Mine's a manual car - why not put the otherwise-vacant tranny cooler to use? I suppose the opposite could occur: burst oil lines to the tranny cooler. Or I could have a problem with the added restriction causing lower oil pressure. Not sure how much it would change things though. It might potentially keep the oil too cool because the tranny cooler is in the bottom tank of the radiator, which should be the coolest spot in the system. Normally I'd say you can't overcool your oil, but on these cars I don't know!

The aftermarket radiator on Rockauto looks ok, and at least it's cheap!

My old SAAB 9000 turbo CSE blew a radiator end tank just sitting idling in a driveway once. Just humming, idling along, and then i hear this "pop" followed by a "slosh". Luckily my apartment had a garage. I pulled it in, shut it off, put a cat litter pan under it, and went and ordered a radiator.

I know the guy who co-owns a big Napa - I will start with giving him a call about the hose.
Make sure it's not this one. I bought it and it's a truck radiator, with a note inside from another insight owner saying it's the wrong one. So they put it back on the shelf the first time and then sent it to me. Don't know if they fixed that.

Font Automotive lighting Logo Electric blue Multimedia

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I replaced all of the hoses several years back on my 2000 Insight. I used Gates hoses for all of them. The Gates version of the lower radiator hose is Gates #23790.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Always replace the hoses if they feel soft, even if they look to be in like-new condition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Make sure it's not this one. I bought it and it's a truck radiator, with a note inside from another insight owner saying it's the wrong one. So they put it back on the shelf the first time and then sent it to me. Don't know if they fixed that.
Well, shoot. It is that part number. I guess I could try? Makes for an interesting chain letter. Did you leave another note? Do I have to buy and return it to find out?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, shoot. It is that part number. I guess I could try? Makes for an interesting chain letter. Did you leave another note? Do I have to buy and return it to find out?
You can try. It says only one remaining, and I'm pretty sure it's the same one. Iirc I left a note in there as well, along with the previous note.

Do you have a CVT or MT? I pulled a spare one in decent condition off a parts car recently and it looked fairly new (aftermarket). I can sell it to you if interested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can try. It says only one remaining, and I'm pretty sure it's the same one. Iirc I left a note in there as well, along with the previous note.

Do you have a CVT or MT? I pulled a spare one in decent condition off a parts car recently and it looked fairly new (aftermarket). I can sell it to you if interested.
MT. Potentially interested! I'll PM you.
The Rockauto one sounds like an expensive and time consuming chain letter. Makes me wonder if all listings for this radiator on many different car parts sales platforms are actually that same one.

Is there some reason generic radiator hose wouldn’t work?
It does quite a bit of curving around. Sure I could buy generic flex hose with the bellows like construction, but my experience is those fail pretty quickly - probably quicker than my old one will! If I bought a generic flex hose I would just keep it in the back for an emergency.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts