Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, was doing some browsing on Yahoo Auctions japan when I stumbled upon what appears to be lowering springs for the ZE1 Insight.

It appears to lower the car about 35mm front/rear, has anyone heard of these/tried them out? At $200, they seem to be priced roughly around other lowering springs, and I figure they'd help immensely in the back, plus a possible MPG benefit from being lower to the ground.

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
If you want your car to handle properly, and ride properly, at least no worse than stock, then forget lowering. There is only about 50mm of suspension travel in the rear with the OEM setup. Lie down and look up under there. Note the polished spots on the metal stop just above the bump rubber ;)

If you reduce the rear travel to 15mm then you have two choices:
-You can run springs and shocks so stiff that they jar your teeth out,
-You can experience the constant sound of the slamming bump stop, and the resulting erratic handling.

I think Honda engineers already sliced this variable as thin as they possibly could, in the interest of aerodynamics.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I installed Scott's stiffer front and rear springs into my car. After the IMA removal, the rear end came up quite a bit. I cut ~1/3 of a coil from the (stiffer) springs to bring the car back down to stock ride height.

When I put the much heavier K24 engine into the front, ride height dropped around a quarter of an inch (~6mm) up front. I trimmed just a little more from the rear springs to level the car. Best I can tell, it's only ~5-7mm lower than stock, but I wouldn't go any lower. I occasionally scrape my exhaust over speed bumps and when getting out of my driveway. 35mm lower and it would be unreasonable to drive on normal roads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow. Want to buy. Trying to figure out how to ship them here. As for the rear travel issue, just shave the bump stops. Problem solved. With stiffer springs it won't bottom out as often anyway.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
As for the rear travel issue, just shave the bump stops. Problem solved. With stiffer springs it won't bottom out as often anyway.
You might want to be careful with this approach. The stock bump stops are taller than they need to be, with stock rear shocks at least, but the shocks themselves don't have a ton of travel, so when you shorten bump stops you're closer to bottoming-out the shocks (i.e. having the rod bottom-out in the shock case, not good)...

I use these, with thick Delrin-like washers (hard plastic) to make them taller, and they seem to work well. When these bump stops engage, the spring rate ramps up quickly but smoothly...

·
Super Moderator
1,677 Posts
I believe GAZ have pretty much the same travel as stock. The GAZ were designed starting with a stock shock as a more cost effective replacement than OE. A pair of GAZ shocks are about half the cost of one new one.

Scott

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you want to go lower, Ground Control is available domestically. Nice guys that happened to be in my neighborhood.

That said, I switched to Scott's springs after moving to the SF bay area. I needed more travel for the rough roads here..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts