Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what eibach (or comparable) can I order for my insight to drop it like 1 inch?

I gotta have a sled......

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Using lower/stiffer springs requires the use of stiffer shocks, or else handling, braking and comfort will be worse.
I have not heard of anyone that has upgraded the suspension of the Insight yet. It can be done but make sure you do it right the first time. Work with a good reputable shop that builds race cars so they can guide you with the options and do the installation.
For performance driving and racing linear springs are better then progressive springs.
Koni 8610 shock inserts should fit from the measurements i've made. But they will reduce the travel by causing the OEM springs to have about 50mm of preload more then normal. So that's why I decided not to upgrade the shocks while using the OEM springs. Since I auto-x in H-stock class we are allowed to upgrade the shocks but the springs must be OEM.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip, Guillermo!

I'm just wondering if there is ANYONE who has purchased and installed a set of lowering springs and a model # perhaps....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trunkout said:
thanks for the tip, Guillermo!

I'm just wondering if there is ANYONE who has purchased and installed a set of lowering springs and a model # perhaps....
anyone???????

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hey man, my chebby looks great like that. but I had to install sprung seats to make it ride good. Only problem now is that I will have to add sprung steering wheel and pedals so they follow the seat....#:cool: Cool man. But does it improve the MPG???

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
[sfx: War, Lowrider]

I believe he is gently and humorously telling you the idea of lowering an Insight is not seriously entertained outside of certain ethnic neighborhoods. ;)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Lowering .

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
It's not a lowrider or ricer forum. The OP had trashed his Insight before he'd put 120,000 miles on it and is now driving a Kia Rio with half the mpg. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to own these high tech machines. Honda spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $60,000 to build each one and it's sad to see them in the hands of people who don't appreciate that.

·
Registered
642 Posts
It's not a lowrider or ricer forum. The OP had trashed his Insight before he'd put 120,000 miles on it and is now driving a Kia Rio with half the mpg. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to own these high tech machines. Honda spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $60,000 to build each one and it's sad to see them in the hands of people who don't appreciate that.
Suspension tuning was not where they spent the money though IMO.

I need a suspension refresh I think, but im not sure OEM would give me much better results in improving the choppy ride around a typical UK A/B road route that I now drive to work. The slowish corner speeds do nothing for MPG.

I guess from this thread there is nothing out there? I would love some Koni yellow inserts. Maybe with the Daewoo Matiz rear springs to improve roll control at the back without resorting to any sort of additional anti roll control.

·
Registered
416 Posts
So people want a softer, lower ride that gets better mpg's? Sign me up! Such a thing is a paradox though isn't it?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I am not sure the poster that was asking was interested in either a better ride or MPG. he/she just asked about lowering.

·
Registered
222 Posts
and, what do you care what a person does to his/her car? a question was asked about certain parts used on the car; not opinions because it may be detrimental towards achieving higher MPG.

the reason why i bought this car was, to me, it is the 3rd gen crx HF. i plan on auto-x'ing the car, and i really dont care about only getting 50mpg due to lowering the car. any thread that has to deal with modifying the car doesn't need the peanut gallery jumping in talking about losing MPG. the people who made these threads are aware of what might happen and simple do not care. go back to the MIMA thread if you dont have any real input, thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
So people want a softer, lower ride that gets better mpg's? Sign me up! Such a thing is a paradox though isn't it?
Not really no.

Although the ride height isnt a major concern of mine, the other features would tie in nicely on a UK country lane. More compliance to give more confidence in corners = less acceleration after the pre cornering brake event and hence more MPG.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
and i really dont care if you dont have any real input, thanks.
Try putting 'suspension' in a search. I came up with more than a couple dozen threads including some discussions of rally car builds and auto xing cars. Might serve you better than dredging up a four and a half year old dead thread.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
222 Posts
i looked up "lower" and "lowering" and i guess bumping an old thread is worse here than asking the same question over and over again?

:rolleyes:

and i did a search for "suspension" and nothing of use came up...

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
You might try and get hold of Guillermo as he seems to have a handle on this subject, though he hasn't visited in nine months.
You got insight from half a dozen people. I've offered suggestions and thinking I saw where someone had lowered a gen 1 I've done a fair amount of searching out of curiosity and have come up empty.
Good luck, have fun with your autocross, and you're welcome.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts