Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now there is that huge lot of styrofoam in the boot and I thought what if I would have that taken out and replaced with a pressure tank for LPG? LPG is cheap, clean and it would possibly double the range.
Anyone done an LPG conversion?

·
Administrator
10,603 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi...
I am from Rome(Italy) and i did an LPG vonversion. The consumption increase only by 20%.
I manage to do 1000km(~800miles) spending 35 euro(~ 45 dollars)

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@catadarius Any negative experience? As far as I've read so far, there are issues with the valves... Did you check or do you just assume it's all grand, like?

·
Registered
7 Posts
@catadarius Any negative experience? As far as I've read so far, there are issues with the valves... Did you check or do you just assume it's all grand, like?
I've done 40.000km with the Lpg system, and a week ago i did an control on the valve. No problem there. So you can do the transformation without any worry, offcourse the service has to be prepared.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've done 40.000km with the Lpg system, and a week ago i did an control on the valve. No problem there. So you can do the transformation without any worry, offcourse the service has to be prepared.

How did you handle with the trip computer? Because the readout from the LPG consume will not work anymore?
How did you manage to work with the ECU? Or did you use a Pitagora?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
All that foam back there is part if the impact zone and is not just fill. Remove at your own risk. Here in the US, insurance companies may deny claims based on removal of safety items.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
From an engineering point of view I'd say the foam just fills the space, dampens sound and keeps the tools in place.
It will collapse under a pressure of maybe 10 kg per square cm or about 1 MN.
The forces in a collision are many thousands of times as high; it stands no chance. You can destroy it by hand... It has no chance against a sledgehammer like impact.

And it needs to collapse; it is inside the rear crumple zone.
The steel sides and bottom of the boot are designed to take the impact of a collision.

In other words, it might protect an object of a few kilograms in a collision.
It has hardly any effect on the 1300 kilograms our cars plus driver and stuff weighs.
The foam insert varies depending on having a spare or not. The spare does have some effect; mainly because of the rim, the tire would collapse.

Then, I would rather not have the LPG tank in the bay between the battery and the bumper, because that is the crumpling zone.
Tight against the rear bench above the battery would be better, but you'd lose the practicality of the folding back seats.

IMHO LPG in a hybrid is a bit ineffective. It is already relatively frugal; not much to be gained.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
RedDevil
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing