Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with Peter to make the LTO BMS CAN ID program less expensive and a lot more convenient. I have agree to do the testing of BMS boards here in VA as a service to the community. The test still isn't free since Peter needs to make a few bucks to continue to support his research and development of new Insight technologies, but he has reduced the testing fee to $7 per board. Since the Interrogator is no longer shipped, the large deposit is no longer assessed.

You will have to remove your boards and ship them to me in Richmond, VA. To the extent possible, I would encourage you to pay by personal check, or postal money order. Paypal seems to draw the line at seeing too many "money to a friend" transfers, though we can try a few if necessary. However payment is received, it must be net of any payment processing costs, and paid in advance of return. I can cash personal checks at no cost.

The BMS boards must be sent to me in a servicable and reusable box, complete with packing, AND a prepaid return shipping label - no label, no return. You can buy the shipping label when you originally ship the boards. Contact me by "conversation" so that I can forward my address to you.

Removing the boards is an easy task, with care and planning. One should use a magnetized screwdriver to first remove the 13 silver screws, and then the 4 black attachment screws. The magnetized screwdriver isn't essential, but it makes handling the small screws safer and easier. The blocks have nice plastic barrier between the cell screws, but it probably still possible to cause accidental shorts, particularly at the ends of the blocks. Do not ship the pigtail cables.

This an experiment and will hopefully be a little less expensive and intimidating than the original program. We'll try this a few months to see how it works.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,764 Posts
The 6 boards in my car haven't been identified, as I got them before Greentec was checking the ID's. Is there a way I can do this myself with my OBDIIC&C? I have the new PIC processor and a CAN chip ready to install onto it.

I'd just prefer not to have to tear my pack apart and mail the boards and then have to put it all back together later if possible.

·
Super Moderator
8,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you do the updates to your OBDII C&C to be able to read cell and pack voltages, then your updated gauge will read the IDs for you.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
887 Posts
It's a software issue; I think jime is correct as long as you have Peter's OBD2C&C software that can read them the board IDs.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You can build your own CAN bus reader with a Raspberry Pi and a MCP2515, and open source software. Here are some recipes that will get you to the point where you are reading CAN IDs in hex.

For the intrepid, the sky is the limit. A little bit of shell scripting or Python will get you voltages from the hexadecimal data, and you can log this on the Pi's SD card, and add a display, or add a phone interface using a Pi Zero W or Pi 4's WiFi or Bluetooth connection, or add mechanical or solid state relays to turn things on and off based on voltage, etc etc...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts