Honda Insight Forum banner

681 - 700 of 721 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Oddly enough if I smell very close to my instrument cluster behind the steering wheel, I smell this electrical burning smell. This makes me believe I am actually smelling something that must have burnt out behind my instrument cluster. I have no idea what this would be as everything seems to be operating normally and looks normal.
Headlights working fine? You know the light switch has a history of burning out, there was a recall...

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
Everything looks fine and I was riding the car in the summer heat today without any issues. Car is running normal.

I will just wait it out and see if I have any more issues. If I had to guess it could be the current hack mod that caused the issue as this has so many connections. Not a big deal because the current hack is easily removable and everything would be back to normal if the issue does happen more often.

It may also not be the current hack and something else.

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
If it's the old hard wired current hack you could go for one of the new ones.. ;)
See the current hack thread for details..

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
Smoke/Smell

Like rainsux mentioned in his deleted 6/24 post, the dimmer switch is notorious for developing a plug issue and creating smoke and smell in vicinity of the dash display - which you pointed to. There is a safety recall on it and the dealers are supposed to replace/fix the plug cost free. If it happens again, sniff around where the light stalk goes under the plastic enclosure.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Or pull the cover off and look for any hot spots.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
Like rainsux mentioned in his deleted 6/24 post, the dimmer switch is notorious for developing a plug issue and creating smoke and smell in vicinity of the dash display - which you pointed to. There is a safety recall on it and the dealers are supposed to replace/fix the plug cost free. If it happens again, sniff around where the light stalk goes under the plastic enclosure.
It seems this is the case as the smell is coming from that location. It smells a bit like firecrackers that burnt. It is continuing to come from that location.
Will I damage my dash if I don't fix this ASAP? Or will I just have a burnt connector that needs replacing at the worst?

Why did rainsux delete this post?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
I deleted it because EQ1 beat me by a couple of minutes saying the same thing.

If you don't fix it you are risking losing your headlights or having an electrical fire.

Sam

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #689 (Edited)
I have been using my heat shield this summer as someone here recommended.

I am happy with the quality and the results. I like it better than constantly running the heatsink fan.

In the peak of NYC summer, 90F outside, the battery compartment stays around 95F and may peak a bit higher. The sun is probably at its strongest now.

At 7AM my temp gauge for my batter was reading 95 after riding, and still reads 95 at 3:30PM. Cabin temp will get as high as 115, but the battery compartment takes a while to heat up.

The only thing is you really need to use all the heat shields on all the windows. The sun is just so hot that a single window is enough to really cause a lot of heat in the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
I deleted it because EQ1 beat me by a couple of minutes saying the same thing.

If you don't fix it you are risking losing your headlights or having an electrical fire.

Sam
Does this have to do with the head lights because it seems like the smell is more noticeable when driving at night?

Do you know if there are any pictures or threads about this issue which show how to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
Do you know if there are any pictures or threads about this issue which show how to fix it?
If you use the Google Custom Search bar, top left, you will uncover a number of relevant threads.

Probably the most relevant fact is that there is a Honda recall on the headlight switch, since it is a safety issue. Discuss it with a Honda dealer. I'm almost certain that they are obligated to fix the problem regardless of the age of your car. You may eventually get a notice from Honda. I finally got the notice on one of my 2000s.

Basically what happens is that the switch plug develops high contact resistance and starts to scorch and get hot. That brings on more and more corrosion until the contacts eventually fail completely. The plug will melt some and get very toasty looking. It is actually a fire hazard in some cases, thus the recall.

·
Super Moderator
6,719 Posts
Honda Recall Info

I just looked at my recall notice, which I have not executed yet. There is a toll free number at Honda that you can call without going to a stealer. You can call (855)215-5008 for information, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., M-F.

OR, you can go online for recall info at www.owners.honda.com

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #694 (Edited)
Thanks for the information.

When I enter my VIN on the honda website it says there are no recalls. I wonder if that means that my 2000 insight was already brought in for the recall.

I'm just going to bypass the connector for that particular wire and solder and connect the wires directly.

I don't even want to bother with the dealership, bringing it in, waiting for them to fix and then most likely having them screw something else up, when I can just open up the dash or steering column or where ever this connector is in 5 minutes and just solder the wires together and call it a day.

Plus, some people are reporting their connector burning out a 2nd time. Why even bother with the honda connector for that particular wire. Supposedly it is too many amps for that pin connector or something, so you risk burning it out a second time.

I didn't even know my head lights were even out when I decided to just check them one night because it was mentioned here I could lose my headlights.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #695
Fixed my lights. Called Honda and my car isn't listed for the recall. I just soldered on new wires. Pretty simple job and is now much better than before.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been using my heat shield this summer as someone here recommended.

I am happy with the quality and the results. I like it better than constantly running the heatsink fan.

In the peak of NYC summer, 90F outside, the battery compartment stays around 95F and may peak a bit higher. The sun is probably at its strongest now.

At 7AM my temp gauge for my batter was reading 95 after riding, and still reads 95 at 3:30PM. Cabin temp will get as high as 115, but the battery compartment takes a while to heat up.

The only thing is you really need to use all the heat shields on all the windows. The sun is just so hot that a single window is enough to really cause a lot of heat in the car.

how do i buy these???

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Why not e mail the mfg and find out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just some battery temp info for you...

I think Honda's battery cooling leaves a bit to be desired....or at least to be improved on. I reversed the blower in my donor car, but it's not a running vehicle, so no test data yet. I'm looking forward to see how your method works out. All the best to you and thanks for sharing.
Davismltc, I'm curious if your reversed MDM fan as worked out well. Any updated info would be appreciated.

Edit: I had saved this picture of a reverse configured centrifugal fan. Not sure if this was yours.

Attachments

681 - 700 of 721 Posts
About this Discussion
720 Replies
44 Participants
jime
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing