Honda Insight Forum banner

821 - 840 of 860 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Is there any reason, whatsoever, a 72 cell setup with BCM fooler and current hack would NOT work for a 2005 or 2006 manual transmission Insight? I can't think of any possible complications, but I feel I have to ask anyway as I havent't heard of anyone doing this to a late model G1.
that it would not work .. Not that I know of .. it should work.

But ..
With only the BCM-fooler you have some open ended potentials for possible concern some day.

ie .. without anything else .. (BCM-replacer, or BCM-Intercepor, IMA-C&C , OBDII-C&C , etc)

How do you ..
#1> stop it from over charging during regen.

#2> stop it from over discharging during assist.

#3> use the significantly more than OEM Ah/Wh of capacity you installed.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
Yes you would want the BCM Interceptor. If I remember correctly, I ran the car without the interceptor, you will have to just reset the SOC often. There are a few other draw backs without using it like the car will draw less current from the pack. You should just get the interceptor because its easy enough to install.

You don't need the interceptor for over charging during regen or over discharging because all you need to do is run a simple volt gauge to a single cell and you will easily see before doing these.

This is the best upgrade you will ever do to your car and its well worth it.

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
You can run without a BCM Interceptor but do you want too?

1) How will you reset or fix the soc so you can use more than 4ah or capacity?

2) How will you manage the pack temperature so the MCM allows maximum IMA power more of the time.

3) How will you automatically prevent low pack V issues. (Cut assist on all years correctly)

4) How will you automatically prevent high pack V issues. (Cut regen on all years correctly)

Having a voltmeter on one cell is hit and miss and then requires manual intervention.

Remember the calpod clutch switch or whatever you are using to cut assist/regen does not work on the CVT or manual 2005/2006 cars IIRC.

The BCM Interceptor pcb is $49 as usual or $250 built.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,715 Posts
I do have a pre-build BCM Interceptor, but I am unaware of how it will help with most of the problems Ian has mentioned.

My understanding was the BCM Interceptor:
- Keeps SoC at 70%

Does it help with anything else?

Cooling:
In my build thread you see i build 2 fans into the IMA air intake and hook them to the stock wire harness, but I don't do anything to keep them turned on.

Clutch switch:
I talked with mudder extensively about this and using a 555 timer I've built (but not yet tested) a pcb that emits a 26khz 50% duty cycle that I can put on the CMDPWR line using a SPDT switch.

Another option would of course be to use OBDII&C to monitor voltage and manually adjust SoC.

Would a combination of these be sufficient?

In my 2000 with current hack and 72 cell LTO I use OBDII C&C, hand-built BCM Fooler resistor matrix, and a clutch switch.

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
Use whatever works for you.

The BCM Interceptor can help with all the things I listed as questions. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Another option would of course be to use OBDII&C to monitor voltage and manually adjust SoC.
yup .. and .. if I recall correctly .. Peter also had posted a software option for the OBDIIC&C itself to automate some of that .. soo you don't have to do it manually all the time.

I do have a pre-build BCM Interceptor, but I am unaware of how it will help with most of the problems Ian has mentioned.

My understanding was the BCM Interceptor:
- Keeps SoC at 70%

Does it help with anything else?
The BCM-Interceptor has 4 modes.
selected via simple binary logic

I set mine up on a 4 position rotary switch so I can manually chose which of the 4 it is in at any one time.

Normally I leave it in the ~70% SoC mode you describe .. this allows for the use of more than OEM Ah/Wh battery capacity.

but .. with a turn of the switch ..

Top SoC = This stops additional Regen , but still allows Assist.
It also seems to pull all DCDC load off the IMA battery without applying a load to the IMA-Motor / ICE shaft.

or .. turn switch ..

Bottom SoC = This stops additional Assist , but still allows Regen.

or .. turn switch ..

Disable both Regen & Assist ... I think Peter had this built out of the pack out of temperature range data .. but the function allows me to disable both directions when desired .. Batt-Bridge balance alarm , temperature , etc.

----

?? If I recall correctly ??
Peter also posted in (I think the super-cap thread) .. how to update the BCM-Interceptor's code so that pack voltage can trigger the top and bottom states automatically on it's own .. so it doesn't have to be manaually controlled (like I did mine).

----

Now technically I did also put mine on a 3 way switch ..

OEM BCM

Manual BCM (As described above)

Automatic BCM via separate device .. this is now redundant with the code update allowing the interceptor itself to automate changing SoC to top and/or bottom based on pack voltage .. and even more redundant with Peter's BCM-replacer , which can also watch temp , voltage differences, and interface with separate BMSs.

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
The BCM Interceptor doesn't have a screen or beeper, so no you can't tell the software version by looking at it.

There haven't been any significant software updates.

Your's may only be programmed with basic functions like keeping the SOC at 75% and the reported battery temperature above 25C when it is less than that.

It will almost certainly have active logic inputs to disable/enable assist/regen on the connector that currently has jumper wires.

Your's probably does not have active voltage monitoring unless you specifically requested it.

For it to do that I need from you the upper and lower pack voltage limits you require.

I also need to know what value resistors your BCM Fooler is made with, and if you are using any pre-resistors to reduce voltage and what they are.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
removed comment as redundant.

·
Premium Member
Chicago & Detroit
847 Posts
Since most conversions use 72 cell configuration, and therefore the same pre-resistor and fooler resistor configurations do you think it would be useful to re-introduce the software as the super caps: SuperCap_BCM...150V_300320017. 2017. Does that code have all the things you're talking about?

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,715 Posts
The BCM Interceptor doesn't have a screen or beeper, so no you can't tell the software version by looking at it.

There haven't been any significant software updates.

Your's may only be programmed with basic functions like keeping the SOC at 75% and the reported battery temperature above 25C when it is less than that.

It will almost certainly have active logic inputs to disable/enable assist/regen on the connector that currently has jumper wires.

Your's probably does not have active voltage monitoring unless you specifically requested it.

For it to do that I need from you the upper and lower pack voltage limits you require.

I also need to know what value resistors your BCM Fooler is made with, and if you are using any pre-resistors to reduce voltage and what they are.
Hi Peter, 72 cell LTO -- for voltage limits do you mean max and min that it should ever see, or a smaller desired window? Absolute min/max are 144 and 180, but while driving I wouldn't want to see anything outside approx. 150 to 172.

BCM Fooler using 22k ohm resistors and 1 generic 5mm LED. The LED specs are:
20mA current rating
3.7V forward voltage
I can change the BCM Fooler LED out if it's going to cause issues.

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
For voltage limits do you mean max and min that it should ever see, or a smaller desired window? Absolute min/max are 144 and 180, but while driving I wouldn't want to see anything outside approx. 150 to 172.
Your 144V low and 180V high sound fine to me.

The BCM Interceptor voltage monitoring is really the last chance saloon to protect the pack.
You don't want it tripping too easily.

The OEM BCM isn't super accurate with voltage so expect a couple of volts tolerance.
A couple of volts either way on a 180V pack is of no consequence.

Assist or Regen will be immediately turned off if the BCM Interceptor flags trigger due to a voltage limit breach.
It take about a minute for regen or assist to come back once the appropriate flag is automatically cleared.

Attached is a BCM Interceptor hex (pdf) file with.. (Rename it to hex.)

1) Fixed 75% Soc (Unless switches are active)
2) Fake minimum temp 25C. The real battery temp is displayed once it is higher than 25C
3) High Voltage limit 180V
4) Low Voltage limit 144V
5) The switch inputs are also active, so you can manually set the Alf & Rlf flags using two dashboard switches.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,148 Posts
I'm a little confused - what's new? Does this mean that the programming in the file just above makes it possible for the Interceptor to autonomously control the battery range to 144-180V? That would mean that the device makes voltage measurements itself of uses measurements made somewhere else like the BCM. Sorry to be a dunce;)

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
I'm a little confused - what's new? Does this mean that the programming in the file just above makes it possible for the Interceptor to autonomously control the battery range to 144-180V? That would mean that the device makes voltage measurements itself of uses measurements made somewhere else like the BCM. Sorry to be a dunce;)
Not really 'new' .. same method Peter developed a little whle ago when he was doing the SupCap work.

As I understand it .. the actual voltage measurement is being made by the BCM.

Yes with the proper updates to BCM-Interceptor can automate (in a limited way) the SoC setting .. it's just 4 states.

In this case ..
180v = set SoC to Top = Stop Regen , allow Assist.

144v = set SoC to bottom = Stop Assist , allow regen

If neither of the above are active = set SoC to 70% = nearly unlimited Assist / Regen (allowing for usage of higher capacity Ah/Wh in a Pack).

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,715 Posts
5) The switch inputs are also active, so you can manually set the Alf & Rlf flags using two dashboard switches.
These are pins 1 and 2 on J3 right? If I understand correctly:
A: If I close the circuit from J3 Pin 1 to J3 Pin 4 it will disable Regen
B: If I close circuit from J3 Pin 2 to J3 Pin 4 it will disable assist
C: If I close both of those to J3 Pin 4 it disables BOTH regen and assist by faking a very high temperature?

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
Thanks for the replies. :) Everyone has got it a bit right.

1) The OEM BCM does the actual voltage measurements, the BCM Interceptor see's that via the serial data it receives from the BCM via the BATTSCI line and acts accordingly.

If you have a high voltage pack and use a pre-resistor with the BCM Fooler to reduce the voltage the BCM sees, then you have to allow for that in the BCM Interceptor if you are doing voltage checks/limits.

My 96 cell pack has a high of 240V at 2.5V per cell, and a low of 192V at 2.00V per cell.
That's much too high for the car without a BCM Fooler pre-resistor. (and VPIN resistor)

My BCM Fooler is made out of 10 x 10K resistors (100k) . I have added a 33K pre-resistor in the + feed.
So we divide our 240V / 13.3 = 18.045 then multiply by 10 to get the voltage the BCM sees.
In this case with the resistors specified my BCM will see 180V when full (240V) and 144V when empty (192V).

So in the BCM Interceptor code I have set the pack high and low voltage limits to 180 and 144V respectively, as that is what it will see.

2) In this test version of the code the voltage limits do not affect SOC, that is still fixed at 75%.
If you use the manual logic switches on J3 then that does affect SOC as now.

3)
These are pins 1 and 2 on J3 right? If I understand correctly:
A: If I close the circuit from J3 Pin 1 to J3 Pin 4 it will disable Regen
B: If I close circuit from J3 Pin 2 to J3 Pin 4 it will disable assist
C: If I close both of those to J3 Pin 4 it disables BOTH regen and assist by faking a very high temperature?
The inputs on J3 1 & 2 are pulled high on the board to detect broken/disconnected wires.
For the car to operate normally (No faults they have to be pulled to ground (Pin 4) by jumper wires/switches. )
When you disconnect them from ground, they go high and the BCM Interceptor takes action.

The BCM Interceptor does not currently (it could) fake a very high temp when inputs 1 & 2 are both high, it just disables regen and assist and sets SOC to 4 bars IIRC.

·
Engine-Off-Coast
1,715 Posts
Okay so then it is:
A: If I open the circuit between J3 Pin 1 and J3 Pin 4 it will disable Regen
B: If I open circuit from J3 Pin 2 and J3 Pin 4 it will disable assist
C: If I open both of those to J3 Pin 4 it disables BOTH regen and assist

Question regarding the high/low:
Could I use LEDs in series with these lines to indicate whether or not the circuit is closed? For example:
J3 Pin 1 --> LED --> SPST Switch --> J3 Pin 4
So if switch is closed the LED is ON and Regen is ENABLED, or would an LED reduce the voltage too much?

·
Administrator
11,586 Posts
Okay so then it is:
A: If I open the circuit between J3 Pin 1 and J3 Pin 4 it will disable Regen
B: If I open circuit from J3 Pin 2 and J3 Pin 4 it will disable assist
C: If I open both of those to J3 Pin 4 it disables BOTH regen and assist
Correct

Question regarding the high/low:
Could I use LEDs in series with these lines to indicate whether or not the circuit is closed? For example:
J3 Pin 1 --> LED --> SPST Switch --> J3 Pin 4
So if switch is closed the LED is ON and Regen is ENABLED, or would an LED reduce the voltage too much?
Try it and see. It might not pull Pin 1 low enough to simulate a logic 0 with an Led in series like that.

You might need to change the value of the pull up resistors on the board to get more current to light the leds.

But you could use an LED with another resistor.

P1---> SPST Switch ---> P4 (GND)

+5v ---> 330R---> Led----> P1

821 - 840 of 860 Posts