Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need help deciding which I should do. I have read a lot about everyone's experience with LTO conversions using the Fit batteries. But I dont really see anyone saying how much the LTO conversion has cost them. I have a quote for $1880 for an 8amp hr pack new that I can pick up whenever. So I guess Im just looking for more LTO info so i can compare and asking for your guys' experience. LTO is exciting and i like pushing what we can do. Would love some feedback. Thanks. Pic of my car for fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But i do have time and skills to do so. Not looking for a drop in lithium option. Thats no fun.

·
Super Moderator
7,755 Posts
You should follow this thread very carefully:

This is the easiest and least expensive conversion to make. The 2 block packs are currently $300 from Greentec, and two are required, so that cost is $600 plus. The "plus" part will depend considerably on how many accessories you chose to install at the same time. Peter would be the a better source for those estimates, but certainly $300 or so minimum just to make it play, and several hundred more if you max out your monitoring and control capabilities. It is actually too early on the 2pack/4block conversion as he is just now getting to the testing phase. According to the above thread, it works, but road testing remains.

If you decide on the 3pack/6block conversion, as several of the earlier conversions were, the amount of mechanical fabrication time increases somewhat and the cost goes up some. My own 3pack conversion cost me about $1200-$1500 at current LTO pricing. I currently have no manual control of assist levels, no current hack assist increases, and no cell level monitoring, so there is a lot of "frosting" which I could put on the "cake."

·
Administrator
11,145 Posts
If you have the time and skills then peruse the mirriad of alternate battery threads on here from the last ten years.

Your choices include...

Lithium in many guises and configurations. .
Supercaps.
Parallel Nimh
Prius Cells.
Alternate Nimh.

Lots of reading to do..

However the LTO Lithium Solution works in several configurations.. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for the comments.
I really like the look of the 3 pack. Nice and tight.
But comparing the 2 pack with 3pack, ya price and capacity, but would you still be able to get a decent hack assist?
Doesn't look like too many reasons to go with the 8 amp hr packs other than drop in...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nevermind, I see in the Low Voltage LTO thread that he states a 40% hack could be used to get back to higher assist levels

·
Administrator
11,145 Posts
3 packs is more expensive, but gives the potential for more power and lower currents in general use.
However it's tricky and awkward to fit safely without moving electrical stuff..

2 packs is 1/3rd cheaper, has less power potential, but IMHO is easier and safer to fit as the main components are securely retained in the oem positions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See I'm not shy from fabrication in order to securely fit 3 packs. but coming from dead IMA to a even just a 2 pack.... the potential power gains of the 3 pack over the 2 pack seems nominal. I guess no one has yet to have a 3 pack and a 2 pack side by side to compare yet either. Either way sign me up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts